A day out getting slabs milled

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MF1000

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Been out most of today getting some of my stored up slabs on a mill - found a great guy in Lancashire … Treecycle2020 aka Keith who has a portable mill and two Alaskan chainsaw mills that can cut up to 5ft boards.

Took my slabs of oak, beech and chesnut

IMG_1224.jpeg
beech slab 2400 x 900 x100

so the 6 ft bar came out IMG_1234.jpeg

unfortunatly it was too twisted to use this mill so we had to slip the sides off an created two 600mm wide 40mm thick planks on the portable mill ☹️ but they still look very good

IMG_1233.jpeg
oal slab on the portable mill

IMG_1232.jpeg
nice slice of beech 😀

IMG_1231.jpeg
I’ll post up more pics of the planks once I’ve unloaded my wife’s van tomorrow.

Keiths a great guy to work with and he has a stock of timber he’s milled over the past two years too.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    372.6 KB · Views: 0
I’ve been involved in some wood-mizering recently, and have my own small Alaskan mill. Unless you particularly want two waney edges, I’ve found it’s best to mill a flat, then turn 90deg and start slabbing. That way, all your boards have a flattish edge that your machines can work from. It’s also easier to run the chainsaw along a flat edge.

Another piece of advice from the WM man was to seal the end grain after slabbing, either with dilute PVA, or, as he suggested, use up all those nearly-empty tins of paint that everyone has stored away.

Oh, and mark a date on the stacks. You think you’ll remember how long they’ve been there…

The slabs being milled were all seasoned and when checked during milling were between 11-14% moisture 😀

as promised here are some pics

Beech - 2 slabs of 2400 x 580 x 40mm ….the original 100mm thick slab had twists & bows so the best plan was to take the live edges off then cut it into the two slabs. Still some lower spots down to 30mm but far easier to work with now.

IMG_1240.jpeg

Chestnut - 2 slabs of 2500 x 5-700 x 45 mm

IMG_1239.jpeg

Oak 3 slabs 2450 x 250-300 x 25

IMG_1238.jpeg

Beech 2 slabs 2400 x 400 x 28

IMG_1237.jpeg

lots of material to now work with and or sell a few bits on

Spent a couple of hours today with the Wolf belt sander and 60 grit roughing off some of the saw marks to get a better picture of what the milling has revealled.

here are the two 45mm thick beech slabs on the bench in a book fold arrangement
IMG_1241.jpeg

I’ve trimmed off the top edge that was partially split during the shorter use of the Alaskan mill. Still 2m long and after removing some thinner material on the top LHS a width of 850mm could be achieved.

After a quick run over with 120 grit here is the grain shown with some white spirit

IMG_1249.jpeg Some nice ‘character’ features.

On to the chestnut …I just roughed 1 piece

IMG_1246.jpeg
And a close up of the figuring

IMG_1247.jpeg

The other two pieces that I though were beech I think are Ash after sanding one if them

IMG_1251.jpeg
and finally some nice rippling on the single slice of oak

IMG_1253.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 0
Back