Price of timber and local availability advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am after some advise if I may?

I have nearly finished my router table and would now like to start a new project with some nice wood.

I was wondering what a ball park figure for a cubic foot of timber is. I have a local saw mill that is open sometimes and I have managed to find him open once. When I spoke to him last year about buying some oak the price was £40 unplaned and £45 planed, does this sound reasonable to you guys?

As it is so unpredictable when he is open I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place local to me, I live near Mold in North Wales.

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers, Si

That seems about average for Oak Si. I live south of you and have faced similar problems. I now get the majority of my timber from my local recycling centre, FOC!
Old furniture, doors, window frames, beds. Once you learn to recognise various timbers such places can be a goldmine. Our centre keeps my son's wood burner running as well.
Check around.

Roy.

Hi,

I live in Dobshill so not far from Mold. I have struggled to source hardwood timber locally at reasonable rates. I have just bought 0.9 of a cubic meter of 27mm oak for £800 so should keep me going for a while !! Where is the saw mill that you are thinking of buying from?

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

drive out of Mold on the Mold Denbigh road, after you enter the 60mph zone you will pass a right hand turn to sychdyn, after that there will be an entrance to what was Gwasany hall on your right and then the next right will be into Gwasany Saw Mill. There is a gate on top of his slate roof. As I said before I've called a few times and he wasn't there. The last time he was there I took his number off the side of his van. 01352 759629.

Cheers Si

Back