Price of the new Veritas Small Bevel-Up Smoothing Plane!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Martin

Yes - tools made in Sheffield. Tell them what they need to do to compete and they (and you) are on to a big winner without a doubt.

Well I'd like to keep this thread to be about the price of this new plane.

Canada £112
UK £210.

I could almost buy a plane ticket and go to Toronto on the cheap ( £85 at last check on air fares 20 minutes ago.), and be back here with it in my pocket for the difference in prices.

I'd like to know why there is a £100 gap between these prices. And I'm looking for a sophisticated explanation not simply the usual whitewash mumble about taxes and transport which passes for prior explanations.

Don't worry I can understand it after 35 yrs experience in pricing from factory input costs in UK/US to final price anywhere in Europe.

Won't someone like Mr. Brown from Brimarc give me an explanation. Even by PM.

Alan

Beech don't forget you have to pay sales tax of 13% from the shop on top of the $179. The £210 includes VAT.

£85 return to Toronto - whose airline is that?
Cheapest flights I ever came across where with AirTransat and nowhere as cheap as that?

Rod

if you don't like the price don't buy it , if you think Canada is cheaper go live there but then you'll only moan that a loaf of bread is apenny cheaper in the uk.

prices are different all over the world for different items

clk230":1gncu1oc said:
...if you think Canada is cheaper go live there...
We know Canada is cheaper (for Veritas planes). That's what this whole thread is about. What's wrong with a visit (and pick up a plane or two while we're there)? Or we could purchase one on-line in US dollars, in which case it's still cheaper, but will we then have to live in the States? :wink:

Why so grumpy about it?

Cheers, Vann.

yes we know veritas are cheaper in Canada if everyone buys them from Canada then no more veritas in uk is that what we want , for my explanation on what will happen if they are sold cheaper in the uk please see my earlier post.

All these sort of posts do is make people think that the uk is a rip off, we should try and support the uk market were possible i can't believe for all the praise Axminster/Brimarc get on here that people begrudge them trying to make money the good stocks excellent service they give don't come for free.

If a sheffield made tool of equal quality was available for say £175 would you still moan that the veritas is only £140 in Canada ?

No body has explained why they believe theres a conflict of interests in the axminster/brimarc either

The veritas is £112 in Canada. The £140 figure is about what I think it should be sold in the UK for. Obviously it should be sold for more in the UK but not for twice as much

clk230,

You said >>>if you think Canada is cheaper go live there but then you'll only moan that a loaf of bread is apenny cheaper in the uk. <<<

I'm going to treat that as just a brain fart from you. If all you can consider is the attitude of a "penny off a loaf" then you miss the point and clearly don't have the experience to comprehend the issues as well as putting words and meanings that I did not write into your message.

It's not about price in the sense of looking for the cheapest.
It's not about trying to complain about Brimarc/APTC service levels, which are excellent.
It's not even about saving me money.

It's about reasonable price differences and why is the UK price so far above other countries and VALUE.

A Veritas No 4 smoother. I hope a common, readily available plane is priced as follows:-

Canada/US £146 -£129 Lee Valley
Germany £207 -£68 Dick
Sydney, Oz £198 -£77 Carb-a-tec
UK £275 £0 APTC
Japan £294 +£19 No equivalent alphabet

All include local taxes, purchase taxes and VAT or equivalent. At currency conversions for today.

UK and Germany are close together geographically and have similar tax levels eg: VAT. Sydney was a surprise. Japan was not...I lived there for 4 years and the cost of living was always a shock but frequently the quality of the purchase was outstanding.

So your "penny saved attitude" is really £129 pounds of difference ( so at Canadian prices thats 2 and a bit No 4s). I'd like to know why. Sure Brimarc need to make a profit to survive. But that US/Canadian price includes a factory profit, a distributor profit and transportation over long distances. Veritas is the manufacturer/distributor, Lee Valley the retailer in Canada.

Did you know that a Clifton No 4 made in the high cost UK was £216. Just as good if not better than Veritas and LN and made in the UK, by UK employees, with UK capital and UK management. Why don't we see more of them I wonder.

Alan

Alan - I think you need to calm down a bit :lol:

I don't understand your prices - what is the first line "£124-151" ?

The other prices - what is the second price?

Doesn't make sense - to me at least.

Karl

Sorry Alan, got it. It's the price movement from the UK "Base". Except the Aus figure is wrong.

Cheers

Karl

Karl,
Sory for confusion. UKworkshop does not support the formatting I put in which would be clearer. Yes. I caught the error re Oz - -should be £77 not £79. Must have been an old person's moment there.

Alan

Alan a few other flaws in your calculations
The LV US$ price is their pretax Export price which does not include postage, duties etc.
Buy the plane in LV's shop in Toronto, it would cost you CDN$199 plus 13% taxes which works out as £146.
I cannot explain the price differences from country to country but it applies to lots of other commodities too.
Anybody who has travelled in the States could not help noticing how much cheaper cars, houses, electrical goods etc etc are over there?
But with sales and price information available on the web it's down to choice as to what and where you buy?
If I was intending to buy the No.4 then the choice would be from Germany - cheap postage and no duties!

Rod

Harbo,
I just checked the LV prices again and your right. My apologies. That will teach me to do this when stuck in routine meetings still got to do something to prevent me dropping off to sleep.

I edited the message to show correct prices.

Alan

Harbo":14ihknat said:
Alan a few other flaws in your calculations
The LV US$ price is their pretax Export price which does not include postage, duties etc.
Buy the plane in LV's shop in Toronto, it would cost you CDN$199 plus 13% taxes which works out as £146.
I cannot explain the price differences from country to country but it applies to lots of other commodities too.
Anybody who has travelled in the States could not help noticing how much cheaper cars, houses, electrical goods etc etc are over there?
But with sales and price information available on the web it's down to choice as to what and where you buy?
If I was intending to buy the No.4 then the choice would be from Germany - cheap postage and no duties!

Rod
So it's not worth a day trip to Toronto then? Pity, I was looking for a good excuse. :roll: yawn

(Wake me up when they are giving out free samples). :shock:

Latest posts

Back