Price of the new Veritas Small Bevel-Up Smoothing Plane!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonnyD":31f5ctpm said:
If you go to a local Brimarc Dealer rather than Axminster there are deals to be had. Ive just bought a LA jack and LA smoother and got a decent discount so theres a good margin for the retailer i assume.

cheers

Jon

I normally get 15% off Veritas stuff at my local dealer, so it's worth asking.

That kind of discount makes it cheaper to buy this new plane in the UK rather than importing it (assuming you pay the customs on import).

Cheers

Karl

all this moaning about uk prices , Veritas is a premium brand if its priced lower in the uk will this de-value the brand name ?
All niche markets have to rely on higher prices and/or higher margins if your a hobby woodworker then a premium brand is pure luxury if your a professional then is £200 expensiive how long will it last how many jobs will you make money from using it.
If the price was reduced from £200 to £140 tomorrow i would bet that the retailers wouldn't sell the extra amount of planes needed to make up the short fall in profit , this could then have a knock on affect were the brand isn't seen a viable in the uk it would also force people like WH to lower the prices of their quangshang range good for the short term as we get bargains ,but the suppliers/retailers won't be able to survive on the new prices as long term the volume of sales would still remain the same.

i would love to see one of you moaners start up a tool shop and see how long you survive on your 'fair' prices.

just to add about the conflict of interests never heard so much b******** its called good business

:lol:
£140? Still too much for me. Another flashy toy which nobody actually needs

Both Brimarc and Axminxter have the same mailing address:
Axminster Power Tool Centre Unit 10 Weycroft Avenue, Axminster, Devon EX13 5PH
and
BriMarc Tools & Machinery Unit 10 Weycroft Ave, Axminster Devon EX13 5PH

So I assume that either Axminster owns Brimarc or Brimarc owns Axminster

I promise this is my last post on this topic, but to have one of my points described simply as b******* without any supporting counter-argument seems a little strong to me.
If asked I could explain very concisely why a retailer owning a distributor raises a conflict of interest. And 'it's marketing'. No. Pricing is just one small part of marketing, the 'management' of retail pricing is one small sub-topic within that.
And just so we all know, I have the highest regard indeed for Veritas products, and I am also a loyal customer of Axminster.

sorry if i offended you , so can you explain very concisely how on earth its a conflict of interests i will be very interested in your explanation.

oscar

condeesteso":3oc9hzip said:
. And 'it's marketing'. No. Pricing is just one small part of marketing, the 'management' of retail pricing is one small sub-topic within that.

Agreed, I didn't say otherwise.

no worries Douglas ,we'll agree to disagree on the conlict of interests .

on a lighter note can freehand sharpen veritas planes ! ONLY JOKING

Hello everyone,

Just to confirm the price is £210.06inc VAT, sorry for our earlier pricing error and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Regards,

Richard.

For a minute I thought you were posting to tell us it had been reduced to £140 :D

clk230":1kyr8341 said:
..... can freehand sharpen veritas planes ....
No problem. I do my LV la smoother freehand, with a camber.
It's A2 steel apparently. I haven't tried a shallow angle below 30º so haven't experienced the crumble effect yet!

My name is Martin Brown and I responsible for BriMarc, and the UK marketing of Veritas.

Sorry that I am a little late in joining this discussion, furthermore apologies that we made such a mistake on this plane. It was simply human error, I have checked.

BriMarc is wholly owned by Axminster, and we wholesale planes to other retailers (the ones referred to above who offer good local service and more). We have been owned by Axminster for many years.

There is no conflict of interest in my view. Just ask one of our retailers who benefit from the support we give Veritas. We have a good track record of fine customer service and knowledge. The world is full of companies that import/manufacture, sell direct, wholesale to other retailers and are responsible for marketing. Apple is a good example.

Please do PM me if you have any other comments on BriMarc. I am not available on Wednesday as the whole BriMarc sales team have a full day working with the new Veritas lines.

Martin

I never thought when I raised this post to get it "off my chest" that it would have raised such an interesting discussion.

Also it is good to see direct feedback from both BriMarc and Axminster employees, thanks for chipping in guys.

Thanks to everyone who has commented, both positive and negative, everyone has/is entitled to an opinion.

Martin (not the one from BriMarc).

Back