Prevention of damp in raw chipboard edges.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to put an Ikea chest of drawers in a boat.

What should I put on the raw chipboard edges, to keep any damp at bay?

I have, varnish, paint undercoat, paint top coat, Danish Oil, could get PVA solution. Colour doesn't matter, non of the edges are seen.

Bod

Hi - I'd paint everything with varnish - not just the edges, but all visible (from inside or out) hardboard/chipboard surfaces. Cheers, W2S

Thanks for the input.
I've been told that silicone sealant spread on the cut edges will do the job, it fills the voids and doesn't soak in.

Bod

Yup, I've tried that (transparent silicon sealer), and it seemed to work fine, but that wasn't for a boat.

It was also a pretty messy job, and quite difficult to ensure that you've covered the complete raw edge right up to the edges where the melamine coating (or whatever) starts on the visible faces.

I GUESS varnish or paint (oil type, not water-based!) would be at least as good and somewhat easier to apply equally all over the raw edges.

As suggested above, wood hardener or varnish will seal raw edges but, I wouldn't consider IKEA or any other knockdown furniture in a boat unless it can be glued up and well sealed. It's designed to be static on a floor, not subject to rolling, pitching and damp atmosphere.

P.S. I was assuming sea going but ditch crawler/ canal boat would be different and may be suitable. :)

Good luck with this. Do a test first as my experiences with chipboard is if a product soaks in the chipboard will swell from that alone.

GrahamF":llmtuka8 said:
As suggested above, wood hardener or varnish will seal raw edges but, I wouldn't consider IKEA or any other knockdown furniture in a boat unless it can be glued up and well sealed. It's designed to be static on a floor, not subject to rolling, pitching and damp atmosphere.

P.S. I was assuming sea going but ditch crawler/ canal boat would be different and may be suitable. :)
It's a Narrowboat, the main concern is that the boat sits unheated for most of the year.

Bod

Back