Powered air mask

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick S

Reaction score
Hi everyone am looking at purchasing a face mask the JSP powercap looks good and the trend same spec looks similar .
Any comments or experience would be great many thanks .
Nick
P.s its for when using lathe

I bought the original JSP Aircap in 2005 with the battery pack that clips to your belt. It's still going strong with the same power pack. The only things I've replaced are the filters and the cloth piece that goes under the chin. Whichever you decide on see if you can also buy screen protectors to avoid scratching the visor.

I have a trend airshield, works well but gets heavy on the neck after a pretty short time.

Depending on your exact use case a design like the 3m versaflow range might be better as the battery pack is on your belt so less weight on your head.

Ollie

Get a Sundstrom SR540 instead. Far better.

Agree with this 100% , buy the best , No short cuts , Lungs are valuable and don't come up for sale very often ,
Several used units on ebay from £280 upwards , I have one , One of the best , far better than a cap type / air shield .
Also please be aware of fine dust particles suspended in the air in your workshop , I keep my Sundstrom SR540 on all the time I am in the workshop after turning / sanding any items , Keep yourself safe.

Agree with this 100% , buy the best , No short cuts , Lungs are valuable and don't come up for sale very often ,
Several used units on ebay from £280 upwards , I have one , One of the best , far better than a cap type / air shield .
Also please be aware of fine dust particles suspended in the air in your workshop , I keep my Sundstrom SR540 on all the time I am in the workshop after turning / sanding any items , Keep yourself safe.

Is it safe getting second hand ones? (genuine question mate)

Given that my wife broke out into hysterical laughter when she popped into the workshop and found me wearing my JSP Force 8 I dread to think how she would react to seeing me in a Powercap..it does look like something out of Antz 🐜

Is it safe getting second hand ones? (genuine question mate)

Yes providing you sanitise the helmet inside and out , Also did the motor unit , Fitted new filters and pre filters and run some milton fluid through the air hose I used a bottle brush as well in the air hose, I'm still here some years of use later :)

Last edited:
Did i not read something about the JSP Powercap not being rated as effective against wood dust 🤨

As in the HSE Standards certification thing.
Admittedly read it on one of those freaky geeky forums, you know the type, place is full of weirdo's. See if I can find it.....
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/jsp-powercap.120422/
I've the Trend one, and admittedly hardly use it, though do for routing where you can't avoid clouds of dust. Bought it from pretty much that and for using the lathe. Mind you I smoke like a chimney, so its a bit like shutting the stable door type irony :LOL:

I have a trend airshield, works well but gets heavy on the neck after a pretty short time.

Depending on your exact use case a design like the 3m versaflow range might be better as the battery pack is on your belt so less weight on your head.

Ollie
I too have a Trend Airshield and concur that it gets heavy very quickly. I also find it generally uncomfortable and not very stable.

If I didn't live in the Channel islands and could get lithium battery equipment posted to me, I would have preferred a face shield with a belt mounted power unit. As it was, the Airshield was the only option available on-island during the March '21 lockdown when any sort of PPE was as rare as horse feathers.

I too have a Trend Airshield and concur that it gets heavy very quickly. I also find it generally uncomfortable and not very stable.

If I didn't live in the Channel islands and could get lithium battery equipment posted to me, I would have preferred a face shield with a belt mounted power unit. As it was, the Airshield was the only option available on-island during the March '21 lockdown when any sort of PPE was as rare as horse feathers.

That's crazy about not being able to post lithium batteries, what about phones and drills and things?
It's funny you mention the ppe shortage, during lockdown I witnessed both trend airshields and jsp power caps being worn in Lidl.

Ollie

That's crazy about not being able to post lithium batteries, what about phones and drills and things?
It's funny you mention the ppe shortage, during lockdown I witnessed both trend airshields and jsp power caps being worn in Lidl.

Ollie
Royal Mail refuse to handle overseas packages containing lithium batteries. You can get them sent by courier but that just adds £40 to the bill, and we aren't all millionaires in a tax haven. Some of us are just pensioners.

I use a Trend Airshield and don't find it too heavy, I also find the waft of cool air down the face whilst its on very refreshing.

Have a powercap and really like it. The only downside is the cloth piece at the chin which is not well designed and tends to break up to quickly.

Back