power tool repairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantbeat

Established Member
Reaction score
does anyone do this or are they just disposed of?

i bought a Dewalt Dw700 mitre saw off ebay, unfortunatley parcelforce decided to throw it around & have broken it, part of the guide (the important bit that stope the cut going too deep & helps keep the spring in place.) has been smashed off & the saw is now able to be slid past the base cutting slot, so somthings broken off thst shoudl stop that.

any advice would be amazing... they are great saws & i would rather try and fic than dispose of it.... im gutted its got smashed, so is the seller.

Im sure dewalt may be able to sell you the parts. theres a place near me but its in kent so far away from you that fixes tools. try googling it as there must be a local place.

some pics of the casting break.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 128
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 128
giantbeat":1codce3l said:
does anyone do this or are they just disposed of?

Unfortunately, I suspect that the answer in most cases is that they're just thrown away, followed by a minority of users repairing their own things.

There certainly are places around which will repair your tools, though - the two questions are whether you can find one near you (I don't know of any national chains, just small local places), and whether or not the price is prohibitive.

On the other side of it - I hope between you and the seller you're claiming as much compensation as you can get out of ParcelForce for the damage. It's only by making such carelessness actually financially costly for them that they'll ever get the message that people would like their packages treated with a modicum of respect.

As far as I can tell that part is available but comes as an assembly with the guide rods and is £100. So doesn't really make sense. Cannibalise a similar saw that has that part intact but is otherwise defunct & hence cheap. Or - write it off and claim. Or - offer for sale as is, at a loss, after having claimed.

It may be possible to use heavy duty epoxy resin adhesives. They are industrial quality and so serious stuff used in motorcyles repairs and so on. J B Weld (JBWELD Origonal) is one and Lumiweld is another. A few quid only so may be a better try than £!00 particulary if it is a throw away job now. Try it and if not satisfactory then go onto the replacement parts if available. You would need to treat it like a china repair doing all the preliminary checking of jointing faces. Hole filling is also part of the procedure if you need that. Best wishes.

Hi

I would drill and tap the back of the casting and the broken piece and put a plate on the back to hold every thing together,
After claiming £100 back from the couriers/seller.

Pete

Hi

Although I agree with you that we should try to repair things rather than throw them away, I think that it would be the wrong approach in this case. First and foremost a saw can be a dangerous item and therefore any defects, even if repaired, increase the risk. Secondly I can not see why you should allow Parcelforce to get away with what they have done. They broke it so they should fix it for you or replace it.

Regards

Logos

if you can get to the back of the void section where the break is with your fingers buy some chemical metal
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_223979_langId_-1_categoryId_255230

put the broken section in place and push a load of the epoxy into the void - be careful not to obstruct whatever those side knobs are for, that stuff sets like iron - maybe push a screw or two sideways into it to reinforce it.

if you are worried about the carriage sliding back too far - drill a hole in each bar at the back close to the end and shove a nail thru it to reduce the amount of slide - you'll lose some of the overall depth of cut - but it's better than losing the use of the machine completely.

rafezetter":1c4g19j2 said:
put the broken section in place and push a load of the epoxy into the void - be careful not to obstruct whatever those side knobs are for, that stuff sets like iron - maybe push a screw or two sideways into it to reinforce it.

I'd take this approach, but with a couple of differences:
  • I'd rough up the back of the two faces - if possible - with a dremel cutting disc or a small file, to give the epoxy something to grip more firmly to decrease the chances the part will just pop away.
  • As was said earlier, I'd make sure that the surfaces mated well and there weren't any small particles out of place that might spoil the join.
  • I'd epoxy the join together first with something like the strong version of araldite (not the 5-minute-cure one).
  • I wouldn't push a screw into the epoxy; instead, I'd drill across perpendicular to the join plane once or twice after the putty has cured, tap the hole and screw a machine screw through it. Getting one into that rib would be ideal. Like that you not only have a very positive reinforcement between the two parts, but you also get to test that the joint is at least so strong by drilling and tapping through it!

Try to repair it suggested by others above, you have little to lose apart from some of your time, a repair that is done properly will be just as good as a replacement part and you get that feeling of satisfaction having fixed it yourself instead of adding to the landfill.

Latest posts

Back