Power Take Off Socket

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lonsdale, I feel you ought to be giving us a great deal more information as to the type of thing you’re referring to, sorry.
A splined socket to fit onto shaft on a motor?
Automatic switching for dust extractor?
Or simply adding a wall type power socket to an existing machine?

Amazon.com: 48A27 One New Overrunning Power Take Off (PTO) Coupler Fits  Ford Tractor Models 2N 8N 9N NAA Jubilee: Industrial & Scientific

Hi Lonsdale, I feel you ought to be giving us a great deal more information as to the type of thing you’re referring to, sorry.
A splined socket to fit onto shaft on a motor?
Automatic switching for dust extractor?
Or simply adding a wall type power socket to an existing machine?

Sorry, answer B, the kind of thing that's built into Festool (and cheaper) extractors that switch the extractor on when the dust-making machine or tool is powered up.

I have a 1hp motor that - having seen a number of YT videos on the subject - I've thought about using to make a dust extractor and was wanting to incorporate a PTO socket. If possible.

And was your different route any more successful?
Yes it's been working flawlessly for a while now, but it couldn't be described as a PTO.
The vacuum is activated when power is supplied to the motor of my table saw. It's ok for me since the vacuum is dedicated to the saw and won't be moved.
If I was going to make a portable extractor with power take off I think Setchs solution would be hard to beat.

I'm just building a no volt switch and was going to implement a current sense based on this design, but I'm just at the very start. The circuit is fairly simple. I need to get the current transformer and search my old stock of rubbish for the 4011.
I don't understand why there aren't any commercial stand alone units available?

novolt.jpg

There are a load of current sensing devices available that could switch an extraction unit via a relay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Current-Switches/b?ie=UTF8&node=10256325031
There used to also be a magnetic sensing switch that could just be strapped to a motor body, when the motor ran the magnetic field operated the switch, probably based on a reed relay.

I've seen these units on Amazon, quite clever and really cheap, I was meaning something more commercial, like a power lead with a current sensed socket. would be a perfect product for Aldi!

A reed switch near the motor could work, I can try it. I have some somewhere.

Had a hunt around the forum and found these I'll use one of those, much easier. No point reinventing the wheel :)

Lidl dust extractor is currently in the middle. £30, 1500W, 30 litres,

I have one bought a few years ago.

Make your own may be an interesting project - but really it is just not worth it!

Lidl dust extractor is currently in the middle. £30, 1500W, 30 litres,

I have one bought a few years ago.

Make your own may be an interesting project - but really it is just not worth it!

Not Lidl's but I have two shp vacs like this already, one with power take of, one without. They're okay for powertools, not so good with larger machines like the planer. Since I have a decent motor and like the idea of at least attempting to build a more effective device, I would like to incorporate PTO if I can.

They're okay for powertools, not so good with larger machines
I have all the bits ordered. I was going to go for the Kemo module, but they wanted £20 for shipping!! I'm back to the original circuit. If the current sensing works, the design can be modified to switch 16A, The current sense transformer has a limit of 20A. It doesn't arrive until late Feb. I am happy to share all the info, but better waiting until I make sure it works reliably.

A reed switch near the motor could work, I can try it. I have some somewhere.
Out of curiosity, I tried it, but any stray magnetic field is not strong enough and probably fluctuating wildly
I wonder if a microphone module could be used in the room with a bandpass filter or software algorithm ?? could have settings for different machines based on their frequency.

Back