Power sanding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwlossie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Have any of you had any dealings with the Trend 2" sanding pads?
I have got one and twice in the last couple of weeks I have had to re-glue the foam pad back onto the plastic base.
I have seen the Axminster version and wondered if that might be a better/stronger option.
Barry.

this is a common problem - there are ways to limit it - the pad is coming loose due to the heat of sanding - keep the pad moving when sanding and on a slow speed - the pad of velcro itself on some brands is too thin to take the heat - you can get a stronger patch of velcro to go these pads - 2" disc from b&q or similar lasts alot longer (not cheap but worth it)- give it some superglue to help it stay...try to hold the velcro when pealing the pad off .also the sanding discs themselves come in thinner brands - the thick ones prevent the heat build up a bit longer - i have found the hermes brand the best if a bit more expensive - klingspor are thinner but less expensive - i personnally use hermes 120 and the rest in klingspor 180,240,320,400

I personally use the "Grip A Disc" system by choice, I have others which get used for specific tasks that they work best at (not better) rather than throw them away.

I detailed my reasoning Here way back in Oct, 2005 and nothing I have seen or had acess to has moved me away from the Grip A Disc.

I also like the "Grip A Disc" system - it was the first one I bought as it was all that the local shop stocked.
I recently bought the Hegner one and I like the range of sizes, the soft interface pads and the fact that it's cheaper for discs (self cut from a rectangular sheet). You need to be a lot more careful with the speed though as the velcro doesn't like heat. I've found that the interface pads work with the GAD system.

Duncan

Latest posts

Back