Power belt sanding file

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
Anyone any recommendations for the above, seem to be available at bargain price's, but would appreciate some feedback from those that own one.

Mike

I have a 400W Lidl power file: https://www.lidl.de/de/parkside-bandfei ... a1/p229830

It's not available from Lidl in the UK at present, but it looks similar to a lot of other power files out there. It works well for light duty jobs and the belts are cheap, or you can cut down standard 457mm belt sander belts. I think it's a handy tool and a lot easier and quicker than hand filing.

Thanks for that, will have a look in Lidl in Limoges next week when I am there.

I see people recommending them all the time, yet I never see people using them and I watch A LOT of youtube "maker channels". Be interested to see what people use them for

I thought one would be handy for shaping wreathed handrails and volutes.

I have one, and in theory its a wonderful tool. In practice, the belts last about 5 minutes of sanding before snapping.
I have a FERM with 9 mm and 12 mm (I think) arms. Amazing for the few minutes it actually works, but I'm glad i got mine with mostly vouchers and only 20 quid cash.

That's disappointing, at the moment I am using a Japanese rasp which is good, but hard work on my hands, thought one of these would help.

General question to all, are there any belts that last longer, cutting down full width belts as suggested by Fergal may be stronger?

It's true that the belts snap easily, they are very thin after all. Mine hasn't had a great deal of use as I'm still on my first set of belts. I haven't tried the blue zirconia belts on it yet, I use them on my disc/belt sander and they are significantly better than the normal red aluminium oxide belts, especially on metal.

I use it for deburring steel edges before welding and for cleaning up welds in places where an angle grinder can't reach. It's a lot quieter and less aggressive than an angle grinder so easier to control for fine work. I've also used it on wood and it's fine for that.

Good to know, I had not thought of using it for metal when welding, that's a bonus.

MikeJhn":1y8khbf4 said:
That's disappointing, at the moment I am using a Japanese rasp which is good, but hard work on my hands, thought one of these would help.

General question to all, are there any belts that last longer, cutting down full width belts as suggested by Fergal may be stronger?
I would recommend one of https://www.dictum.com/en/hand-cut-rasp ... t-3-704572 . They move material very fast. Follow up with a finer one. Different shapes available, same brand and website.

The point of this thread is get away from using hand tools, not buy more. :lol:

I think the point is to make the manufacturers produce better power tools. :lol:

Most people here seem to be retired, and not even recently retired. My 70 year old hands cant do a quarter of what my 40 year old hands could do :roll: , so we need help to keep making stuff.

I'm not retired yet, but I like power tools as they get things done quicker and I only have limited time for my hobbies. Also, the availability and cost of power tools has dropped dramatically in recent years. They may not be pro-level tools, but for hobby use they are good enough and save me time and effort.

I can appreciate their use as I get older though, I'm already struggling to do certain things I could do easily 10 years ago.

I'm on my second Black & Decker power file, first one lasted maybe 20 years. Work well on fiberglass, wood and metal and belts last longer the more the user gets to know it.

Thanks all for your thoughts, will have a look in Lidl for one and experiment with that first, will be my first Lidl tool buy.

I have the B&D "Powerfile" and IMO anyway, about the only thing wrong with it is the name!

IMO as a "proper" file to work on metal or anything else, it's near useless - it's just not accurate enough.

BUT if you just need it to take some material down to roughly the right size (just about any material really, inc metal) then it's a great time/labour saver. It's also good for getting into hard to reach spots.

But as said, accurate it ain't (though with practice that CAN be improved - a bit)!

I only use mine a little, now and then, so haven't noticed any problem with belt life - I'm still on the sets that came with the tool originally (both the extra narrow and "normal" belts).

Mine's called the B&D 902E. It has 3 "arms" in the set, a "wide" arm, a "narrow" arm, and a "cranked" (3 roller) arm.

I bought it from Axi because that full set (3 arms version) didn't seem to be available here.

I've got a black and decker one. About 40 quid delivered l.

I've never really use it on wood, but I use it in ferrous metal a lot. I think it's a superb tool for the money. If I lost it, I'd buy another without consideration.

I only use the blue zirconia (spelling?) belts with it. They last a good long time when filing steel and rarely split. They're cheap enough off eBay anyway.

I use it for all sorts, Inc flatting off welds etc. Great tool.

I have one. It's an Evolution tool bought from Amazon. I bought it to help me quickly clean up awkward mortices in timber frames. Truth is I hardly use it and although I don't break belts, I find it is a bit of a blunt instrument and rather slow. It is quite useful for cleaning up metal parts, such as wrought iron, that I can't otherwise easily get to. They are pretty cheap so you don't have a lot to lose, but don't expect miracles from it.

Back