Power belt sanding file

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's just the belts people use?

As I say, mine will grind its way through mild steel just fine.

I spent a while welding up a replacement bulkhead for my landrover 110 and it was my go to tool. Nicer to use that a grinder with a flap disc. I used it for shaping plates for inserting and everything.

I like the idea of different shafts to use with the file, will have a look around for a suitable one.

QUOTE: Maybe it's just the belts people use? UNQUOTE:

No, it's not that - well not IMO anyway. It will remove metal fairly quickly all right, and though I haven't used it much for removing weld spatter, etc, (I prefer a small angle grinder) I'm sure it will do an OK job at that.

My only "objection" is the use of the name "file" for this tool. Yup, it removes metal OK, but sorry, I'm old fashioned in that respect, so to me, a file is a precision tool that you can use to bring a piece of metal flat and square to a certain dimension to within plus/minus 1 thou (inches). My B&D "Powerfile" can never do that, not in anyone's hands!

But if you just want/need to grind excess metal away, more or less within a tolerance of plus/minus a metric pineapple, then by all means go for it.

As I said in my first post in this thread, it's the name "file" I object to. This tool just isn't a file and couldn't ever be. A better name would, IMO, be something like "power nar(row)beltg(rind)er". But it's not very catchy, agreed!!! Don't think B&D will be offering me a job in their marketing flower arranging department.

Not splitting hairs, 'onest. I just wouldn't anyone to think they'll be buying a "powered file".

AES & Graham funny you should say that Makita call their version a "power sander" I suppose its a reference to the width of the blade, would be difficult to describe it any other way?

I got one of these...Silverstorm 247820 - 260W 13mm (½") Power Belt File 230V ...off Amazon for about £30.

While maybe not "best" quality it has been really useful.

I would not be without one now...one of those tools you just keep finding uses for once you have it.

I feel your pain, quite literally, as I have both soriatic- and osteo-arthritis. I now find many handgrips very uncomfortable, as they are not shaped for my hands!

So I've got a bit of nervousness recommending these but anyway...

... a few years ago we had a group buy of Liogier hand-stitched rasps. I have a half-round #11 (I think), also notable because it's cut for a leftie (me!).

Two things stand out about it: (1) the ease and speed of stock removal - it's fast on most things (apart from the very hardest hardwoods, such as Purpleheart), and (2) the quality of finish.

I'd disliked rasps in the past because of the rough finish, occasionally with tramlines. That was in part because they're usually made for right-handed people - it makes a huge difference. Yes, it usually needs a bit of sanding afterwards, but hardly anything (obviously depends on the finish you want, too). It was shockingly good, and remains so, as I look after it very carefully (e.g. cleanup with a brass-bristled brush immediately after use - I don't let oak chips stay stuck on it, nor anything else that might affect the steel).

Ideally a range of grain sizes would be good, but I've been surprised that I don't feel the need for coarser or finer ones than the one I have. I've got a coarser Liogier rat's tail too ("queue du rat" :) ), but it's too sharp and cuts too fast for nice finishing - a finer one is on the list.

I can see you might get used to a mini-belt sander, but I can also see it would be very easy to wreck a lot of hard work very quickly.

Anyway, you being in France reminded me. I'd expect they'd be cheaper there than here. I must say that such tools are usually out of my price range though - it was only the group offer (directly from M. Liogier) that made them affordable here.

I appreciate that may not help, but if you get a chance to try one, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Eric The Viking":2strqmy9 said:
I can see you might get used to a mini-belt sander, but I can also see it would be very easy to wreck a lot of hard work very quickly.

Correct. Think of its use similar to an angle grinder, great for removing bulk but not for fine finishing.

The days of tools and anything else for that matter, being cheaper in France have long gone, last trip I paid €1.60 for petrol, 28second heating oil is over €1.00 full VAT/TVA as they call it, white goods are extortionate compared to the UK, the only thing going for it is the weather down South where our holiday home is and we spend the summer.

MikeJhn":1heaqaq0 said:
The days of tools and anything else for that matter, in France have long gone, last trip I paid €1.60 for petrol, 28second heating oil is over €1.00 full VAT/TVA as they call it, white goods are extortionate compared to the UK, the only thing going for it is the weather down South where our holiday home is and we spend the summer.

We spend around 8 months each year based in Portugal, much of it afloat. Although cost of living is much less than UK, power tools <£100 in UK often double the price.

I have edited my previous post to read as it should have read "The day of tools and anything else for that matter being cheaper in France have long gone"

Eric

The problem with my hands is exacerbated by my insistence on regular fishing trips and the figure eight retrieve I prefer, I think the fish would notice if I tried something different. (hammer)

I have a Black and Decker one and my problem is not belts breaking but constantly coming off.
Don’t think I am using too much pressure but fly off virtually on switching on.
Can’t find any adjustment in the tensioning lever.

The side knob that holds the arm on should be on a spring. as you do or undo the knob the arm swings side to side. you adjust the belts angle this way untill it stays on and is square to the tip.

AES":v498ttlg said:
... so to me, a file is a precision tool that you can use to bring a piece of metal flat and square to a certain dimension to within plus/minus 1 thou (inches).
When at college an electrician friend had to file a perfect cube from an 1" ball bearing. For the rest of his life he never used a file. :D

I'm not surprised phil!!!! Mind you, I'm also surprised that he found a file hard enough to cut a ball bearing - assuming that it was a real ball bearing (hardened!) and not "just" a MS ball.

+1 for sunnybob's post above about tensioning the belt on the B&D "Powerfile". Mine is exactly the same and although it's not brilliant that lever does work (more or less).

Personally, I dunno. I've had mine for a few years now but use it very seldom ("special" jobs only). When I bought it (mail order from Axi actually) I bought spare belts sets at the same time and so far haven't had to buy any more.

Perhaps sunnybob knows?

At 6mm difference that would explain flying off through insufficient tension.
Just looked online for B&D specific belts and they are quoted at 451mm.
Order placed.
Must say too not Silverline..............

Back