POST YOUR SS GIFTS HERE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well - what a fantastic set of gifts so far this year described in the posts above.

I was completely overwhelmed with the generosity and thoughtfulness of my S-Santa who had taken the time to look at the type of work I do and realise I mainly go round and round rather than up and down and select a fantastic haul of gifts.

They are very much appreciated and I have been looking at the Elf for a while but did not want to stretch the goodwill from SWMBO so you really hit the mark!

THANK YOU SS!!! :ho2

PS - Just noticed SS has also given me the optional additional cutters for Elf as well. A true gent! Thanks again.

Simon.

simon S-Santa.JPG

Attachments

• simon S-Santa.JPG
    simon S-Santa.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 617
Benchwayze":3art3s4n said:
Hi folks,

Here are my SS gifts, from someone with an eye for detail and the ability to produce fine work. In particular the smart pieces of marquetry on each item. Someone's trademark I am sure.

I don't know if my SS knew I am in the process of making a new bench, but theses are ideal ancillaries.
The 'slide' on the shooting board is fashioned from some kind of nylon sheet, and should last a lifetime, as well as being very 'slick', for easy use. I am most grateful and these will have pride of place at my workbench. Many Thanks to my SS

Thanks also to to Waka for all your efforts on behalf of all of us. Full Marks!
Best wishes to everyone for a grand New Year.

John :ho2

Wow John what a lucky bunny you are, it looks to good to use. To you SS who ever you are. a very nice job

Cheers

Mike

Jensmith":4fuvj0rr said:
My present is an extremely nice handmade carpenters square with brass parts and I think a Rosewood handle? Thank you to my SS. It's just what I needed and I'm really thrilled with it.

EDIT: I've just noticed that there's initials stamped into the base of the handle - RHB.....

Can you read backwards Jen?

get-anything-nice-woody-for-christmas-t56944.html

:wink:

Tony Spear":k4i7bmr2 said:
Jensmith":k4i7bmr2 said:
My present is an extremely nice handmade carpenters square with brass parts and I think a Rosewood handle? Thank you to my SS. It's just what I needed and I'm really thrilled with it.

EDIT: I've just noticed that there's initials stamped into the base of the handle - RHB.....

Can you read backwards Jen?

get-anything-nice-woody-for-christmas-t56944.html

:wink:

Ah, well I hope Rod doesn't mind my finding out! I have already used it today and know it will get a lot of use. It's fantastic!

Oops I'd forgotten about that, as I marked them with chisels - I haven't got my Maker's stamps yet.
Well spotted!

As the game has been given away, here's a few WIP's:

brass1.jpg

brass2.jpg

brasssquares2.jpg

Taken from a Pop Wood feature by the founder of Bridge City Tools.
He started his company off making them.
I made four of them, Jens is in Afromosia (Teak).

Glad you like it.

Rod

I wouldn't have guessed otherwise. Thanks for the wood ID and the WIP photos. The wood is stunning.

big thankyou to santa for my odd jobs marking tool

P1010803.jpg

some great gifts there, glad you like your burnisher jim.

thanks

adidat

Wow, there are some great looking gifts this year.

Here's what I got

A really well turned, screw lidded box in Goncalo Alves. Just look how well formed those threads are.
Thank you so much to my SS. It will be treasured.

Adam.

P.S. I'm glad you like the awl Liam. If you would like a longer point, drop me a PM and I'll knock one up. The one supplied was a practice run but I had to go with it after my kiln broke.

P.P.S. Thanks once again for organising this Waka. You did a great job.

condeesteso":3lhuvke6 said:
Adam - impressed with that awl indeed... so how do we get to look inside Riley Toolworks then??

I'm going to do a thread in the next few weeks about the first products, and start a passaround, if all goes to plan.

Thanks for the interest, and watch this space!

Adam.

Hi Adam - please can I join the pass-around? And I quite fancy one of those awls... :-$
Must say the range of very fine handmade tools on display here is a candy store of delights - some serious talent out there.

I am blown away by the generosity and skill shown in this years SS.
I admit to almost most joining in, but faltering as I wasn't sure I would be capable of producing something anybody would want to receive.
Perhaps next year my skills and courage will develop to the point I feel able to take part.
Again, bravo to all who did take part.
Si.

well I did join in for the first time - and it was 'fun'.

I have to admit that I was somewhat surprised to receive a book (hard to disguise with wrapping paper!); let's face it we all know that the answer to all our 'shop woes is more tools, better tools, different tools don't we 8) - so I was really looking forward to a mallawlmeasuremark ......... :mrgreen:

When I unwrapped the book my initial concerns were reinforced - it wasn't even a book on how to do it right!

Then I opened the book....

2 hours later I realised that this was the book I needed, but had never even given a thought.

The book is "Classic Forms' by Stuart Dyas.

6614421299_f5eb3a7002_o.jpg

Whilst I still need more tools to 'do it', and advice on 'how to do it', I now have a basis for what to do and why - brilliant :lol:

How does Santa do it :?:

Mu - glad you like the carving mallet; I hope it gives you decades of satisfaction (hammer)

Having just switched from Windoze7 to an IMac, I'm still grappling with Jobb's OS so am unable to post any pics at the moment, but I received a rather tasty and quite heavy :shock: little brass headed mallet with a spalted beech wood handle...so many thanks to my SS, much appreciated - Rob

jumps":3he2f9pi said:
well I did join in for the first time - and it was 'fun'.

I have to admit that I was somewhat surprised to receive a book (hard to disguise with wrapping paper!); let's face it we all know that the answer to all our 'shop woes is more tools, better tools, different tools don't we 8) - so I was really looking forward to a mallawlmeasuremark ......... :mrgreen:

When I unwrapped the book my initial concerns were reinforced - it wasn't even a book on how to do it right!

Then I opened the book....

2 hours later I realised that this was the book I needed, but had never even given a thought.

The book is "Classic Forms' by Stuart Dyas.

Whilst I still need more tools to 'do it', and advice on 'how to do it', I now have a basis for what to do and why -
brilliant :lol:

Jumps

You know the rules, if there's no pic's it didn't happen.

Rob

I have the imac and posting pics is the same, you just take them down into iphotos and then you can play around with them.

How does Santa do it :?:

Mu - glad you like the carving mallet; I hope it gives you decades of satisfaction (hammer)

Well here's my gifts from SS -
Jim Tolpin.jpg
as yet I have not opened it, but I'm well aware of Jim's writings having had a copy of his "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets" for some time now, so I know I'm in for a treat.
My second gift (ain't I lucky) is a copy of Aldern Watson's " Hand Tools"-
A A Watson.jpg
which is just fantastic.
So now I'm all set for a read-athon, thank you...bosshogg :)

Attachments

• Jim Tolpin.jpg
    Jim Tolpin.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 452
  • A A Watson.jpg
    A A Watson.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 452

Latest posts

Back