POST YOUR SS GIFTS HERE

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condeesteso":2nyfygau said:
Ah ha Jumps. That mallet was yours then =D> =D> I do hope that wedge was bog oak...??
(Very nice indeed, you good old Santa.)

sorry - ebony.... :roll:

Sorry for posting so late ..I was away over the Holidays ...I got a great little Miniature Router Plane by Veritas...it will be a great addition to the shop and looks just great beside it's big brother the Veritas router plane...every time I get a box from Lee Valley Tools it is like Christmas..and this was special! Thank you very much and well done Waka..
Cam
AKA Newbie

Thank you, thank you, thank you Secret Santa :D :D :D

I received these absolutely gorgeous marking gauges from Pete....

Mark1.jpg

Mark2.jpg

By far the best Christmas present I got this year. How did he know I needed some decent marking gauges? These are beautifully made (I think) from sycamore and rosewood, with nicely ground little knives (don't really show in the photos) which are very sharp :D First blood was from my partner on Christmas morning who reached over and grabbed one to have a look at despite my warning of "be careful - those are sharp!" He found out the hard way - blood on finger and he hadn't even noticed it had cut him! Luckily none of the red stuff contaminated my new marking gauges (and partner is ok too!)

These gauges are lovely to use and easy to set - absolutely great. Thanks again.

Kym

Yet more outstanding work coming out of the SS efforts. Beautifully made, well done to the maker.
No pics of my efforts yet - either they were shoddy, or the recipient is way too busy using them. I'll hope for the latter :oops:

Hi, Kym

Glad you like them, they were Maple and Rosewood with Silversteel knives.

Pete

p.s. they are trained to attack anyone apart from there owner :wink:

p.p.s. glad he is o/k

I've been out of town since before Christmas until next week, but I'll definitely be posting some pictures :)

Having at last managed to sort out posting pics, the next thing I had to do was to upload stuff to PBucket and after some fiddling around, aided and abetted by SWIMBO, together we managed to cobble something together. Herewith then, better late than never:

DSC_0008.jpg

...is my present, shown with a pen top for a size comparison. I weighed the mallet on some scales and the weight is around 17ozs, so a little over a pound. It's already been in use in the 'shop over the festive period (see Waka...I was even out there over the holidays :p :p ) and that heavy head provides plenty of heft in such a small package. So, to which ever SS made it, I'm very grateful. Many thanks =D> - Rob

That's very beautiful Rob!

I would be interested to know how the spalted handle is fitted to the brass block...so if you know or if you SS can post or PM me if they want to remain anonymous I would be most grateful!

Jim

jimi43":2avalxzf said:
That's very beautiful Rob!

I would be interested to know how the spalted handle is fitted to the brass block...so if you know or if you SS can post or PM me if they want to remain anonymous I would be most grateful!

Jim

Not shown in the pic Jim, but there's a socket in the brass head into which the handle fits. Then there's a transverse steel pin (around 3mm) going through the brass and handle, thus locking the whole thing in place...it's a nice piece of kit to use - Rob

jumps":2k2bgua9 said:

Mu - glad you like the carving mallet; I hope it gives you decades of satisfaction (hammer)
Thanks a lot, I don't know if I will find the courage to hit something with this art piece :ho2

Back in town, I finally got to open my SS parcel! Inside I found two lovely old chisels that have been rehandled in ash and lemonwood. Delightful :) Thanks Santa!

IMG_20120110_202601-1.jpg

Old SS gone, new SS just landed.

Back