Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning work stig, we pretty much started turning at same time but I'm silll making things round while your producing art lol. Too many interests and not enough dedication
At the lathe is my happy place, I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm addicted, I'm just lucky to have access to so much free wood 🤪

Finally found a couple hours to get out to the makerspace, a few weeks ago I was asked if I could make another bowl to be auctioned off at a dog rescue charity so i picked up a piece of (pretty sure) Douglas fur and turned a live edge bowl, wasn't the easiest to get right, the wood is quite hard and the outer white is very soft, love the red in the bark though. Finished with a foodsafe oil.
View attachment 164715View attachment 164716View attachment 164717View attachment 164718View attachment 164719View attachment 164720View attachment 164721View attachment 164722
Absolutely gorgeous that

Another pen/seed experiment. This one is Magnolia seeds and brass bits in resin. I drilled the tube hole too far off the centre so the seeds only show on one side. But, I like the look of the seed side so I'll give this another go one day.

P1120252.jpg

P1120259.jpg

Another pen/seed experiment. This one is Magnolia seeds and brass bits in resin. I drilled the tube hole too far off the centre so the seeds only show on one side. But, I like the look of the seed side so I'll give this another go one day.

View attachment 164838

View attachment 164839
Great idea and execution! It deserves a second attempt IMO. Very nice!!

I've had 3 Sycamore logs sat at the back of the pile that we're cut about 4 years ago, 2 are about 2ft long and a smaller one about 18inches, all are about 11inch diameter, they're split all over and really should be moved to the fire pile but this morning I was feeling brave/stupid so using my electric plane I reduced the smaller log down to about 9inch diameter so it would fit on the lathe and went to balancing it with the roughing gouge, it's so punky I had some large pieces tear out so I moved over to a fresh bowl gouge which gave a better cut although still had loads of tear out, got it shaped close to finish and saturated the whole thing in CA glue then took a final pass and got a really nice finish, then turned it round and put it in the chuck, having no steady rest made hollowing a nervous affair so I only hollowed what I could without it flying off. Whole thing sanded to 320 then abrasive paste and hard wax, the inside is sanded at 80g on a stick for what I couldn't reach by hand. Overall I'm glad I took the chance 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Need to start looking at hollowing tools I think.
20230823_130444.jpg20230823_130438.jpg20230823_130425.jpg20230823_130417.jpg20230823_130411.jpg20230823_130359.jpg20230823_130349.jpg

I've had 3 Sycamore logs sat at the back of the pile that we're cut about 4 years ago, 2 are about 2ft long and a smaller one about 18inches, all are about 11inch diameter, they're split all over and really should be moved to the fire pile but this morning I was feeling brave/stupid so using my electric plane I reduced the smaller log down to about 9inch diameter so it would fit on the lathe and went to balancing it with the roughing gouge, it's so punky I had some large pieces tear out so I moved over to a fresh bowl gouge which gave a better cut although still had loads of tear out, got it shaped close to finish and saturated the whole thing in CA glue then took a final pass and got a really nice finish, then turned it round and put it in the chuck, having no steady rest made hollowing a nervous affair so I only hollowed what I could without it flying off. Whole thing sanded to 320 then abrasive paste and hard wax, the inside is sanded at 80g on a stick for what I couldn't reach by hand. Overall I'm glad I took the chance 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Need to start looking at hollowing tools I think.
View attachment 165032View attachment 165033View attachment 165034View attachment 165035View attachment 165036View attachment 165037View attachment 165038
That one really looks good. Pretty impressed you managed it on that little record lathe.
Regards
John

That one really looks good. Pretty impressed you managed it on that little record lathe.
Regards
John
I can start with a Maz diameter of 9.5 inches, between centres it was absolutely fine, once I started hollowing though I had to take very gentle light cuts as I only have 50mm jaws on my chuck, was very nervous once I removed the tailstock

Been a while since I turned anything due to a couple of failures which irked me, but today I finished off this platter.

First time I've ever turned entirely outboard which was interesting, not quite as relaxing as between centres.

It's all oak offcuts with one bit of what I believe might be purple heart (but others may correct me)

Pretty happy with it, I was going for a square platter but tearout dictated the finished article.
IMG_20230828_160832.jpg
IMG_20230828_160923.jpg

Finished the slightly uglier bigger brother to the last bowl - it was very old, very hard and very dry lump of elm and if I never turn an elm and resin bowl again it will be too soon! (Although the last piece of the slab is in resin and might try some sort of vase..!!)

Attachments

• IMG_4248.jpeg
    IMG_4248.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4247.jpeg
    IMG_4247.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back