Post a photo of the last thing you turned

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One from the weekend, nice bit of Zebrano.
0AABD744-A7F8-4F55-8716-2C97B1AC5FF6.jpeg
F1E6EE7B-704E-4F3C-AC31-B736D95386C6.jpeg
D43DD57B-1BC4-44E2-B7E6-6EC4F66FF4F1.jpeg

I thought this would be simple enough to do, but what a pain in the backside it turned out to be.

I had a plastic cup that I'd been using at work, one of those thermal types with a thin metal insert and I thought I'd have a go at making a nice wooden cup and re-use the old insert. I wanted to use a piece from an old Oak fireplace, my first issue though was the amount of cracks in the wood! I ended up with a blank that was just large enough for what I needed, but there were still some cracks.

Problem no 1, while turning a cylinder, I had a catch on a crack and a fair sized chunk flew off. Superglued back on, although I regret having used accelerator on it.

Problem no 2, I made a recess for the chuck, thinking this would be the best option and I could use the recess as a foot, making the most of the limited amount of wood. I mounted it on the chuck, you've guessed it ... the wood split and I ended up removing the recess and making a tenon .... further reducing the depth of the wood.

Problem no 3, I was just about done and I only needed to push the insert in an extra few millimetres (which up until this point I'd avoided), yes.... it split the wood and I had to fill the large crack with milliput and sand it down some more.

Lessons were learned for next time, overall though I'm pleased with the final result.

20230910_100236.jpg 20230911_144154.jpg

20230911_174035.jpg 20230911_185958.jpg

Last posted on the forum back in may with a design inspired by an old bee hive. Been away from turning for a wee bit had to build a garden shed but now ive finished been able to go back and continue my experiments using the rope or bead effect and here'sthe results so far
20230913_180841.jpg
20230913_180716.jpg
20230913_180636.jpg
20230913_180615.jpg

Attachments

• 20230913_180553.jpg
    20230913_180553.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I thought this would be simple enough to do, but what a pain in the backside it turned out to be.

I had a plastic cup that I'd been using at work, one of those thermal types with a thin metal insert and I thought I'd have a go at making a nice wooden cup and re-use the old insert. I wanted to use a piece from an old Oak fireplace, my first issue though was the amount of cracks in the wood! I ended up with a blank that was just large enough for what I needed, but there were still some cracks.

Problem no 1, while turning a cylinder, I had a catch on a crack and a fair sized chunk flew off. Superglued back on, although I regret having used accelerator on it.

Problem no 2, I made a recess for the chuck, thinking this would be the best option and I could use the recess as a foot, making the most of the limited amount of wood. I mounted it on the chuck, you've guessed it ... the wood split and I ended up removing the recess and making a tenon .... further reducing the depth of the wood.

Problem no 3, I was just about done and I only needed to push the insert in an extra few millimetres (which up until this point I'd avoided), yes.... it split the wood and I had to fill the large crack with milliput and sand it down some more.

Lessons were learned for next time, overall though I'm pleased with the final result.

View attachment 166178 View attachment 166179

View attachment 166180 View attachment 166181
I like this idea a lot and may steal it!
So....
Does the cup keep the drink as hot as before or has some of the thermal functionality been lost - lack of vacuum?
Was it easy to remove the original external plastic?
Where did you get the cup ;-)

Regards

Padster

My first bowl since high school 50 years ago. Now retired I thought it would be nice to get back into turning.
Just as a start I glued pieces of hardwood together so if it didn't look OK I wouldn't waste a block of hardwood.
Quite pleased with the result!
6.5" diameter bowl but it is only a Record DML24 lathe to begin with. If I get the bug I may invest in a larger machine.

Attachments

• IMG-20230914-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230914-WA0006.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 0
I like this idea a lot and may steal it!
So....
Does the cup keep the drink as hot as before or has some of the thermal functionality been lost - lack of vacuum?
Was it easy to remove the original external plastic?
Where did you get the cup ;-)

Regards

Padster
My apologies Padster, I meant to reply to this sooner and forgot all about it! I read your reply on my phone while out at work and I intended to reply once I got home.

The cup was bought from The Range locally, I think it costs just under a tenner at the time. You can buy cup inserts from ebay, I forget how much they are though.

The cup doesn't keep the drink hot for as long as it did originally, the plastic cup from new had more of an air gap due to the body being wider and with more of a curve to it too. If I make another cup outer, I'll try and replicate the original shape.

Removing the insert was quite simple, there was a foam pad on the bottom which when removed revealed a screw (a rusty one in my case). Once the screw was removed, the insert popped out without much effort.

I hope that's of some help.

I've had 3 Sycamore logs sat at the back of the pile that we're cut about 4 years ago, 2 are about 2ft long and a smaller one about 18inches, all are about 11inch diameter, they're split all over and really should be moved to the fire pile but this morning I was feeling brave/stupid so using my electric plane I reduced the smaller log down to about 9inch diameter so it would fit on the lathe and went to balancing it with the roughing gouge, it's so punky I had some large pieces tear out so I moved over to a fresh bowl gouge which gave a better cut although still had loads of tear out, got it shaped close to finish and saturated the whole thing in CA glue then took a final pass and got a really nice finish, then turned it round and put it in the chuck, having no steady rest made hollowing a nervous affair so I only hollowed what I could without it flying off. Whole thing sanded to 320 then abrasive paste and hard wax, the inside is sanded at 80g on a stick for what I couldn't reach by hand. Overall I'm glad I took the chance 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Need to start looking at hollowing tools I think.
View attachment 165032View attachment 165033View attachment 165034View attachment 165035View attachment 165036View attachment 165037View attachment 165038
Tis a thing of beauty

My first bowl since high school 50 years ago. Now retired I thought it would be nice to get back into turning.
Just as a start I glued pieces of hardwood together so if it didn't look OK I wouldn't waste a block of hardwood.
6.5" diameter bowl but it is only a Record DML24 lathe to begin with. If I get the bug I may invest in a larger machine.
nice tidy bowl using cutting m8 we always find a way to get something to turn without using the good stuff I have a burl I bought 3 years ago still waiting for my attention, I started with the same lathe as you it was a reliable and quiet lathe, take your time and do research before you pull the trigger on bigger or better lathes 👍

I have the same lathe and almost 2 years on I'm starting to feel restricted, don't get me wrong it's a beautiful lathe and perfect for starting out and learning I just want to have more control over speed and be able able to turn bigger stuff, also I'm quite lazy so having to reach for a spanner every time I need to adjust the tool rest or tailstock is becoming an irritation.

I have the same lathe and almost 2 years on I'm starting to feel restricted, don't get me wrong it's a beautiful lathe and perfect for starting out and learning I just want to have more control over speed and be able able to turn bigger stuff, also I'm quite lazy so having to reach for a spanner every time I need to adjust the tool rest or tailstock is becoming an irritation.
Can't you replace with Bristol levers that's what my cl1 has

Can't you replace with Bristol levers that's what my cl1 has
I could but that doesn't solve my main issue of wanting to turn bigger, trying to save for a bigger lathe so don't want to spend money on something that is just a convenience, as well as lazy I'm also tighter than Scrooge 😉
Speaking of Scrooge there's less than 94 days to go 🎅 😁😁😁😁😁

Latest posts

Back