Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted these elsewhere, I needed a stack of slats for a project, so lots of small tenons to be cut, 76 in total.

View attachment 181922

40 in this part:

View attachment 181923

And the rest are used in the another section.

The bigger picture, I make a 2 or 3 Oak garden benches in a year, typically like this:

View attachment 181924

This one is a different, in that It will fold up, ideal for putting away come the winter, this is all dry jointed, if I get time, will be cleaning up and gluing together this week.

The intended result:

View attachment 181925

The seat folds up:

View attachment 181926

And the front legs/arms fold in:

View attachment 181927

The seat will have a SS continuous hinge connected to a rail running the width of the back frame and the front legs will have a parliament hinge connected to the back leg, with a catch under the arm rest to lock it to the back leg.
Cracking bench always fancied having a go at a lutyens but all the mortise and tenons and curves keep it something I keep putting off
 
SDF_01.jpg

I build this sideboard from English oak
 

Attachments

  • SDF_02.jpg
    SDF_02.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SDF_03.jpg
    SDF_03.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SDF_04.jpg
    SDF_04.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 0
Well done - very sculptural, but simple... I expect there will be some movement across the width of the doors. but you should easily be able to accommodate this with the hinges you have used.
 
Well done - very sculptural, but simple... I expect there will be some movement across the width of the doors. but you should easily be able to accommodate this with the hinges you have used.
You are right on the doors. I reserved the option to make some channels in the back of the doors to compensate for any bowing. However, the oak was kiln dried and I used the cup and smile technique, dominoed and glued. They bowed a bit at first but now they have settled really flat. Very happy with the outcome.
 
Tambour drinks cabinet in American black walnut, burr walnut, Spanish walnut and maple with ebony stringing. This was made as a commission for the LAP (liver and pancreas cancer charity) and auctioned last saturday for £4k. I made one previously which is similar - this one was a bit smaller (900 x 900 x 360mm) and had, by request, a secret compartment with a magnetic lock on it. It probably took me 120 hours in total - but some of that was a cock up I did which meant I had to rout a new burr walnut in when the rest was virtually finished!. Not my finest day
 

Attachments

  • 8ACA8441-E0A2-4BA6-B4EA-BE33C11DD7F0.JPG
    8ACA8441-E0A2-4BA6-B4EA-BE33C11DD7F0.JPG
    709.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 97814AD5-B9BD-42EC-9BA0-639D51A3DBEC.JPG
    97814AD5-B9BD-42EC-9BA0-639D51A3DBEC.JPG
    789.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tempImageBsJclS.png
    tempImageBsJclS.png
    11.5 MB · Views: 0
  • tempImageIaq59H.png
    tempImageIaq59H.png
    11.3 MB · Views: 0
Tambour drinks cabinet in American black walnut, burr walnut, Spanish walnut and maple with ebony stringing. This was made as a commission for the LAP (liver and pancreas cancer charity) and auctioned last saturday for £4k. I made one previously which is similar - this one was a bit smaller (900 x 900 x 360mm) and had, by request, a secret compartment with a magnetic lock on it. It probably took me 120 hours in total - but some of that was a cock up I did which meant I had to rout a new burr walnut in when the rest was virtually finished!. Not my finest day
Very nice indeed. Really great looking piece. Worth every penny
Regards
John
 
Thanks guys. Kind of you. To make the tambours I used a dark hardwood to make 100 slats 470 x 11 x 15mm. Then glued those up 15 at a time to the Spanish walnut sheets using compression rather than vaccuum etc. but between the staves was 1/2mm plastic sheeting cut up into thin strips so that the glue didn’t stick the staves together. Then when it’s dry you just take out the plastic and then cut through from below through the veneer with a new scalpel blade
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9590.jpeg
    IMG_9590.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9588.jpeg
    IMG_9588.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9617.jpeg
    IMG_9617.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9635.jpeg
    IMG_9635.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Got a slight inferiority complex after seeing the gorgeous unit @gasman has made, but i smashed together a quick unit for a 2nd hand router table, then made my 1st ever door 🥳

The glue up was tense, too many joints and not enough clamps! I just need to give it a decent sand and paint, then attach the hardware - once the missus decides what she wants...

One door down, eleven to go 🤪
 

Attachments

  • 20240615_152141.jpg
    20240615_152141.jpg
    992.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240608_143843.jpg
    20240608_143843.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240605_184550.jpg
    20240605_184550.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back
Top