Posh people

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in an area that is very affluent and everyone is a bit becks and vicky if you get me, my garden is the only one up our road that is not exactly disgusting but just untidy, well I do have longish grass compared to them but they do run roun their lawns with razor blades every sunday, I also have to wait for the council to remove things like the freezer, so that causes problems too, any way. I was sat here one day thinking I really should do something about having a nice posh name to match all theirs ( the rest of the council houses here all have numbers, so you can tell who is who!), so I asked one of the posh beggars how it was done, and got told you can't unless you can afford it and its very expensive, well, I've seen that look before ! you know the one thats kind of down the nose and says "whats that smell, its not cash", and so I wrote to the council asking, they asked me what name I wanted to use and I gave them the 2 I liked most, I got a letter back a few days later to say that my choice of "Church View" had been registered, and I could use it as our address now.

I saw Mr "i'm posher than you" a few days later and spoke to him over the fence asking him if he knew where I could get a name plaque made up for the house as we had decided to use the one we had, he stone cold looked at me and said I had no right to do that and unless I paid the land registry people I would be in breach of laws and he would be duty bound to inform them if he saw it as well as the council department, so I showed him my letter and said " and" his face hit the deck. I found out later that a person up the road who had built a house near the church wanted that name but couldn't as we had used it and they wouldn't let two houses have the same name in the same post code, ah well, money wont buy you everything.

so if you want a posh address name the house. works for us.

poor people in the rich folks area.Bit like the hillbillys here.

Up the commoner!! :lol: :lol:

Can't stand posh folks who look down on you just because they're richer than you.

I get it at work a fair bit. Poncey rep's coming round to see my boss. Basically treat me as the hired help - one even handed me their coat to go and hang it up!! :roll:

Smeared vasiline in his pockets! :lol:

Oh, and 'Hillbillies' is a bit 'un-PC'.

I think the accepted tearm is 'Hill Williams'.... :lol:

Genuinely posh people like your aristocracy don't seem to go in for all that $hite. I used to do a fair bit of business with a Marquis and Marchioness, and once you got used the Bertie Wooster stuff they were as good as gold. They've now inherited the Dukedom (Duchy?) and are in the top 50 or so richest people in the country.

No, the problems come with the 'nouveaux riches'. Usually only two generations or less from a council estate they tend to be a total pain in the pineapple! You are right to single out Posh & Becks as the ultimate example of this sub-species.

We've got thousands of them here in leafy Cheshire. When I started out in business I imagined that they would provide the most profitable work for me.

Forget it!!

The husbands tend to be ok, after all they've generally grafted for what they've achieved - its the wives who are the nightmare - usually the second or third version!

The nicest people to talk to and to do business with tend to live in bog-standard suburban semi's.

Cheers
Dan

Sorry about the non-PC generalisations - I challenge anyone to tell me it isn't true, though!

Your right. Shortly after we moved here someone bought a bit of land from an existing house owner and decided to build a new home on it, the planning permission said they could not have a gate closer than x feet to the road or remove the existing trees and hedge line so his house could not be seen from the field or road.

I asked him for some old pallets, he had only 3 of them, he acted like he was lord so and so and said I cold have them if I worked for him for days clearing his grounds etc and removing and digging. I told him I didn't have . on my forhead and pallets weren't worth that much. Since then he has removed nearly every tree on the property and the communal hedge line in a public field no less and when asked by the guy renting the field who he got permssion from he loftily said it was his property and would do as he saw fit and if anyone wanted to moan they could sue him.

Hi momo, I live in a house with no number, just a name. Does that make me rich and posh? If so, where is all my money hiding?

I've nothing against people being wealthy, but tend to agree with Dan on this. People who are used to money seem quite normal, it's the ones who have recently acquired it who are a nuisance - they are not posh though - and their children are even worse.

Just out of curiosity, how do you define someone as being posh/rich or not? Is it that they have a bigger house than average? Or an Aston Martin sitting on the drive? Or just someone you don't like much because they have an arrogant attitude?

Not meaning to be patronising, but surely it depends entirely on your vantage point on the social ladder - anyone remember the two ronnies sketch with John Cleese - I look up to him because, I look down on him because...? Stand at the bottom and everyone is richer and posher than you.

Steve.

I agree with dan and everyone, those thast are born with it and come from real royalty are nice, I know a couple of lords and have done work for one or two in the past, they couldn't of been nicer and even had one stroll up to me and my boss with a can of lager for us, he was a bit surprised when I said no thanks I dont drink though!!, he merely asked if tea would be ok and I said thanks.

Lord Denning was a nice old feller as well, bit strange and had his mind fixed about many things but nice all the same.

I thin the typical intellectual level of the nouveau rich follows this

Rooney's been told he can play in the World Cup if he gets a Cortizone Injection. Beckham said: "If that fat fu**er's having a new car, then so am I!"

On the other hand.....

Why is it that, in this country, criticising someone for being poor is seen as a crime second only to mass murder, whereas criticising someone for having the nerve to have acquired some wealth through hard work, inheritance or good fortune is seen as fair game?

Presumably, these same critics, were they to win the lottery, would not leave any money to their offspring, but would give the lot to charity?

To me, snobbery and inverted snobbery are equally reprehensible.

BTW, I am, by no stretch of the imagination, wealthy: I simply do not resent others for being so!

And David Beckham's crime is what, exactly? That he is not an intellectual? I thought he was paid to play football? Perhaps we should have a go at Steven Hawking for being a lousy rugby player?

Paul

I dont resent anyone for being wealthy, Its their attitudes to those that are poorer I do. Or for forgetting they came from the streets and now assume they are one better now they made a few bob, bet they would soon lose their attitude if they lost it as fast and had to go ask the people they snubbed for a loan or tin of beans.

Money certainly does not make man or manners.

those thast are born with it and come from real royalty are nice

Hmm, not sure I totally agree that hundreds of years of inbreeding coupled with inheriting a fortune typically made off the back of slavery make for a better person somewhere down the line. A quick gander at the history books may well lead you to conclude that the nobility are a bit of a bloodthirsty lot, concerned more with hunting and merrymaking than the welfare of their subjects.

Take a look at accounts of the Battle of the Somme for the stupidity of nobility and the officer classes - almost exclusively drawn from the upper echelons of society. This is continued today with Prince Harry, thick as a brick, couldn't get even 3 A levels with the most expensive education money can buy, yet suddenly gets into Sandhurst and is a platoon leader in Afghanistan ordering around a platoon. Would you be happy if he was responsible for your life in a war zone?

Notice the ongoing debate on whether we should apologise for the slave trade or indeed pay reparations to great great grandchildren of slaves?

Take a look at your MP, typically an oxbridge graduate - representative of the people he represents is he? Doubtful.

Sorry, but being from royalty/nobility means nothing other than the fact one of your ancestors made alot of money (often through what would now be considere nefarious practices) and didn't spend it all before they died.

Steve.

Saintsman":2iohj1e3 said:
To me, snobbery and inverted snobbery are equally reprensible.

There's an increasing amount of reprehensible tosh being "spoken" round these parts at the moment. It's a shame as it does no one any favours.

"Posh People" have topiary to keep the yoiks away
untitled.jpg

Cheers :D
Tony

By all means: judge someone by their manners and how they treat others, not by how much money they do or do not have.

What I was criticising was the attitude that all 'toffs' (whatever that might mean)are arrogant idiots and all 'slobs' (ditto) are the salt of the earth.

Generally, good manners and common sense are equally distibuted and/or lacking between the two groups!

Paul

Smudger":2xv36v5n said:
Quote from such a child to his teacher (me):
"My dad says if you're so clever, why aren't you rich?"

Because intelligence isn't just about using one's brain cells to gather personal wealth. It's often seeing something futile in the "loadsamoney" ethos that suppresses an appetite for it.

I suppose dying in more comfortable surroundings and being able to do some of those 'trendy' things that require money and saying "I did this and I did that" is a valid existence for some, but not all of us get a kick out of such a "meaningless" values IMO. I think ultimately, wealth has very little to do with it. It's one's value system that prescribes attitudes unto others.

Back