Pollen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought I had the beginnings of a cold over the last few days (itchy hooter, sneezles etc) but SWIMBO reminded me last night that the trees are coming into leaf and the pollen's in the air. It only lasts for about a week with me, but if any one else suffers with the 'real thing' all thru' the summer, you have my sympathies - Rob

Rog - it's only the tree pollen that sets me off...I hope 8-[ and that seems to last for about a week and then I'm clear - Rob

sadly we have a bad sufferer in our family ... my sister suffers really bad.
eyes swollen shut, throat swollen to dangerous levels.... the whole lot.

last year she had injections to try to combat it.

I get it mildly, I just use about 10x the dosage of antihest. that your suppose to.

:?

Steve

Oilseed Rape - Hate the stuff,,,

The pollen from it triggers migrane in me,,,been to doc - nothing he can do,,,so its migrane about once a fortnight all summer long...

No wonder I enjoy climbing hills and winter sports,,,nice CLEAN air,,,

ah,,the joys of summer......

kmcleod":2jq8qf62 said:
Oilseed Rape - Hate the stuff,,,

The pollen from it triggers migrane in me,,,been to doc - nothing he can do,,,so its migrane about once a fortnight all summer long...

No wonder I enjoy climbing hills and winter sports,,,nice CLEAN air,,,

ah,,the joys of summer......

Bad news is that Oil Seed Rape is increasing - and even more will be required for "bio-fuels". Cherries are floweing round here, and the catkins are on the willows.

As a beekeeper I would say the spring "flow" has just started (a nectar flow) after the suppressed temperatures and rain recently. I would expect it to be quite intense.

Adam

woodbloke":2ojkh9mi said:
Thought I had the beginnings of a cold over the last few days (itchy hooter, sneezles etc) but SWIMBO reminded me last night that the trees are coming into leaf and the pollen's in the air. It only lasts for about a week with me, but if any one else suffers with the 'real thing' all thru' the summer, you have my sympathies - Rob
Yep! My wife has started to sneeze from birch pollen

I think you will find that the Oil Seed Rape for bio-fuel bubble will burst shortly and the production levels then drop back to their previous level as cattle food.

woodbloke":2nwt36eq said:
It only lasts for about a week with me, but if any one else suffers with the 'real thing' all thru' the summer, you have my sympathies - Rob
All through summer? I dream of only having it all through summer! Starts about middle of February and will only cease when the last leaves fall. :cry:

Not quite as bad as when I was younger, though.

Adam's mention of honey reminds me that eating local honey is supposed to help alleviate symptoms. Can't say it's helped me, mind. Also worth mentioning that some with bad allergies are strongly allergic to Bee stings - a hospital job for me, for sure.

Dave

I'm also a member of the happy allergenic camper brigade. Start around spring and end about mid winter. For the rest of the year the house dust mite, gluten (for years I have falsely been diagnosed with coeliac resulting in a special diet my whole childhood), dog and copper remain. I'm taking prescribed tablets all year round and an prescription spray for the worse months.

As a fully paid up member of the awkward squad explain this. As an ex-Bee keeper I have of course been stung on a number of occasions. The last swarm I collected I was in shirt sleeves, the stings have that lettle effect on me. Now Wasp stings! That's a hospital job for me!

Roy.

gluten (for years I have falsely been diagnosed with coeliac resulting in a special diet my whole childhood),

erm, gluten intolerance is exactly what coeliac disease is. If you are allergic to gluten then you have coeliac disease. The only cure is exclusion of gluten from the diet - hence your prescriptive diet as a child. The 'disease' comes as a broad spectrum condition and can often be misdiagnosed and present with variable symptoms however.

As an ex-Bee keeper I have of course been stung on a number of occasions. The last swarm I collected I was in shirt sleeves, the stings have that lettle effect on me. Now Wasp stings! That's a hospital job for me!

A wasp and a bee are not the same, hence you can be allergic to one and not the other. They will have things in common, hence people can be allergic to both, but also differences.

Steve.

StevieB":113kx2xs said:
gluten (for years I have falsely been diagnosed with coeliac resulting in a special diet my whole childhood),

erm, gluten intolerance is exactly what coeliac disease is. If you are allergic to gluten then you have coeliac disease. The only cure is exclusion of gluten from the diet - hence your prescriptive diet as a child. The 'disease' comes as a broad spectrum condition and can often be misdiagnosed and present with variable symptoms however.
Not exacly, there a three very close gluten related 'disease'. The first is Coeliac a genetically predisposed autoimmune disorder where there is an unflammatory reaction to a enzyme that modifies the gliadin protain of the gluten. The only solution is a life long gluten free diet. I do not have this.

The second is a reaction of the lower intestents to unmodified gluten. This is caused by the lack of a helper bacteria that is present in our intestents and aids in the modification process. When treated with large amounts of antibiotics these and other helper bacterea are destroyed. The sympttom are very close to Coeliac but the cause and the location in the intestents of the problem are very different. I had this.

The third is a hyperacusis to albumin and or globulin. This is a common allergenic reaction to the protein itself which can be treated with antihistamine. I heve this.

Bees developed from Wasps after flowering plants arose. That is well shown in the fossil record. I'm just a little surprised that they seem to have developed different toxins since then.

Roy.

Apologies, tnimble, I was being too literal. The second two conditions you describe are not an allergy to gluten in the biological sense, which is what I was describing as coeliac disease. I spent 5 years researching the genetics of the condition in a former job.

Steve.

StevieB":3ptd0avi said:
Apologies, tnimble, I was being too literal. The second two conditions you describe are not an allergy to gluten in the biological sense, which is what I was describing as coeliac disease. I spent 5 years researching the genetics of the condition in a former job.

Steve.
Cool! Did some research to get the correct term in English, which seem to be called wheat allergy instead of the diagnosed coeliac disease. As I was told by the internist and voice it correctly the mistake was made because of the combination at that time while I was a baby I did not react to the given medicine. So it was not an allergy and those effects of antibiotic was not yet known.

Digit":3hggwlg4 said:
I think you will find that the Oil Seed Rape for bio-fuel bubble will burst shortly and the production levels then drop back to their previous level as cattle food.

I agree Digit.

I wonder which gas the cattle will give off then when they fart, after eating oil-seed? (They should be eating grass shouldn't they?)

As to OSR... growing the stuff is already affecting the production of home-grown foodstuffs, which means we import more food, which means more fuel being used by ships and aircraft, which means more carbon.. etc etc,.. If there is anything in this carbon lark... Well it all seems counter productive to me.

Don't bio-fuels give off any pollutants at all; or just none that we yet know of.. Oh the merry-go-round!

John

:D

Benchwayze":33lrvae0 said:
As to OSR... growing the stuff is already affecting the production of home-grown foodstuffs, which means we import more food, which means more fuel being used by ships and aircraft, which means more carbon.. etc etc,.. If there is anything in this carbon lark... Well it all seems counter productive to me.

Toatally agree John.

Benchwayze":33lrvae0 said:
Don't bio-fuels give off any pollutants at all; or just none that we yet know of.. Oh the merry-go-round!

The point is that the carbon emissions from biofuels have already been offset, by the crops that have replaced it. Although, as you said above, it does more harm than good.

Back