Pocket hole screws are too large for 15mm ply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTF Builds

Reaction score
Happy Sunday evening champions.
I have a relatively daft problem and I'm almost certain it's gonna be something super obvious, but I'd really appreciate any advice from, anyone more experienced than me.

The weekend has been cutting panels to size and using the Axminster pocket jig to assemble some small cabinets out of 15mm ply.

Now the issue I have, is the pocket screw heads (axminster also) seem to be protruding the flush external surface of the cabinet.
Is there, a specific screw, with a specific flat head that would work for this. Or am I to apply the "angle grinder and a flap disc" method to the blighter.
Yes, I'm a butcher, but I'd really rather have the answer for the future, as it's a modular design I'd like to pepper all over the workshop in the future.

Just to add, I set the drill bit collar within a mm of the base of the jig. And set the jig to the lowest setting.

Thanks in advance.

You have not set the drill depth correctly and or the jig. With the Kreg jig you have to set the height of the drill guide in the jig which positions it correctly for the thickness of wood being used and then set the drill collar also to ensure it drills the pocket hole deep enough but so the tip of the drill penetrate through.

You have not set the drill depth correctly and or the jig. With the Kreg jig you have to set the height of the drill guide in the jig which positions it correctly for the thickness of wood being used and then set the drill collar also to ensure it drills the pocket hole deep enough but so the tip of the drill penetrate through.

Well, I had considered setting the collar so the drill goes deeper, beyond the manual guide of 1-2mm clear above the jig base.
But a) it was in the manual to NOT do that.
And b) this leaves very little meat in the board.

I will, have a crack at this though, I just wondered if there so existed a smaller panned head screw to use with thinner ply.

Thanks for the help though.

Having just enlightened myself to pocket hole screws recently I can add this;

- There does seem to be a very fine tolerance between screw length and material thickness, especially in thinner materials.
- In thinner materials one can use PAN HEAD screws instead of the regular washer headed screws. These have a smaller diameter head for the very application you talk of.

Beyond that, I just had a play with scrap bits till I found the right compromise of pocket depth vs screw depth... ( My pocket hole jig came with no depth set instructions...)

Hi

The Kreg jig does have the settings marked on the drill guide and also a location in which you can place the drill to set the collar, I assume that other makes don't have this feature. This shows the Kreg drill guide height setting,

1612175662100.png

and this is how the Kreg sets drill collar

1612175686199.png

Take a look at this site it may help.

https://www.anikasdiylife.com/use-kreg-pocket-hole-jig-video/

Hi chaps,
Yeah I've double checked my depth settings on the collar, and the jig (very similar system to the kreg one I see)

Plus, I tested a hole by drilling very deep, obnoxiously deep and leaving very little meat, so would be totally impracticable for actual joinery purposes.
And the washer head screw, still protruded ever so slightly.
Thus the experiment deemed it no good.
So those little trend screws with square drives look like they are next on the list to try.

I will update in the next few days with results.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi chaps,
Yeah I've double checked my depth settings on the collar, and the jig (very similar system to the kreg one I see)

Plus, I tested a hole by drilling very deep, obnoxiously deep and leaving very little meat, so would be totally impracticable for actual joinery purposes.
And the washer head screw, still protruded ever so slightly.
Thus the experiment deemed it no good.
So those little trend screws with square drives look like they are next on the list to try.

I will update in the next few days with results.

Thanks again everyone.
Try Titman Edge pocket hole screws from Everytool.co.uk, they are similar to the trend ones but can buy in smaller quantities to try out. I don't do much pocket hole stuff but use these when I do and have been perfectly happy with their performance.

UJK, Trend and some others sell a Mini Pocket hole Jig which solves this problem in wood thickness down to 12.7mm by using a smaller size bit.

I have the Kreg "mini" jig which doesn't have a clamp but still a great bit of kit for a novice like me. I bought trend screws and fine - a lot cheaper than Kreg. I wanted a range of lengths, but not massive quantities so went to Axminster. Buy in 100s for about £3 (Kreg about £9, if you can find 100s) but need to buy Torx driver £3 for 2

Back