Tips re: pocket screws at 50mm and 63mm - can I substitute kreg pan-head screws for washer-head?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidwellj

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a good bit of cabinetry and built-in shelving in a home we're renovating. For this, I'll be assembling frames using a kreg pocket jig, and for 18mm birch ply I'm expecting to use the Kreg 32mm No.8 Coarse Washer Head Screws. From what I can tell, you can get a bulk pack of these in the SML-C125-1200-INT pack for as low as £23 (I'm looking at KREG SML-C125-1200-INT 32mm No.8 Coarse Washer Head Screws 1200pk but if anyone has a line on better prices online elsewhere, I'd be very glad to know of it). For plinth / base construction, I'll be either using cut-offs from the 18mm ply or 2x4s. Same for cleats, probably just 2x4s. This requires a 63mm screw, and I've been struggling to find well-priced versions of these. I've noticed that Kreg makes a highly discounted decking screw which is mostly the same except that they are pan-head instead of washer head. What think ye about this being a budget-friendly substitute for for those overpriced 63mm coarse washer-head #8 screws?

Last edited:
Yep the screws are not cheap. Try Appleby Woodturnings or Westcountry Machinery4Wood. These do some good offers from time to time.
Be mindful of some infereror screws as they can sheer-off easily and boy is it a pain to sort out - especially with the longer screws. As a general rule of thumb, use the washer heads for softwood and pan heads for hardwood where possible. Let us know if you do find a source selling genuine kreg screws cheaper.

Worth noting that they seem to offer a #8 coarse screw in 30mm rather than 32mm (which is Kreg's dimension), so I had to do a bit of searching before I realised the equivalent was 2mm shorter.

Back