Plywood Drawer Construction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtchucker09

Reaction score
I am going to be making two drawers for my table saw cart.

The space is 650 wide x 430 high and 680 deep.

I am planning to have a drawer that is 320 high to accommodate up to 12 inch circular saw blades and then a narrow drawer about 2 - 3 inches high for things like spanners etc.

I am planning to make the drawers out of plywood and was thinking of cutting the front, back and sides, rebating a 6mm or 9mm groove about 12mm up from the bottom for the base and then rebating the front and back and screwing onto the sides with the base inside.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions please?

You don't say how thick the front and sides are but it would need to be about 12 mm at least. A 6 mm bottom may sag under the weight of all that tooling so I would use 9 mm. Do you intend to stack the sawblades on top of each other. ? I know they can be very sharp to handle. I made a dedicated set of sliding drawers - one for each sawblade which works nicely. Never use MDF for drawer sides. They jam up in the winter - at least in a damp shed. Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Was thinking 18mm ply for the front, back and sides. I can use 9mm or 12mm for the base, just want it to be nice and strong as the bottom drawer will have some weight in as I intend to make some kind of slotted divider to keep the blades separated. There will also be some small jigs and guides in there. I would say 15kg at most

I have always found 9mm more than adequate for the sides and 6mm for the base

I put a rebate on the ends of the sides to jig the front and back In place.

Once glued up drawers are a very strong shape.

Back