Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I will soon be needing to buy some ply to make some cupboards in my shed, about 3 sheets I reckon.

I plan to make a large rectangle with a ply piece in the middle to stop any initial bowing and secure that to the wall of my shed, I will then put in the dividers to make a series of compartments inside the main rectangle so it makes the cupboard (at least that's how I see it in my mind). I will then put shelves in each of the cupboards, they will all mostly be different sizes to each other.

My shed measures 8' x 8' and I aim to secure the rectangle to the walls with angle brackets (those "L" shaped things)

I have 3 questions
1) will that idea work?
2) What is the difference between Plywood and Plyboard and which one should I get.
3 How thick should the ply be?
4) will 1 sheet be big enough to make the cupboards for 1 wall? (I will be doing 3 walls)

1 - yes, you don't need a back if you are screwing it to the wall, but I would recommend doors on the front.
2- dunno, never heard of plyboard as a term
3 - 18mm is ideal, you might get away with 12mm, especially if you strengthen with battens or similar
4 - Impossible to say, you have only given us the shed dimensions! A sheet is 2.4m x 1.2m, sketch your design out on paper to work out what you need

I think plyboard might be that stuff with a thin veneer on either face and thick block in between. Probably plywood is a better bet.

As StevieB on the rest.

Latest posts

Back