Ply cabinets - clamping and finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can I pick some brains? The next project is to make quite a number of storage cabinets (hallway, kitchen etc.) where the carcasses will be good quality 3/4" ply for sides and base, with something thinner on the backs. I will be using a domino for the joints.

1) I am going to need more clamps and want an excuse to by some Besseys. Can I overclamp a domino joint? Can I get away with the uniclamps or should I go for the Revo? Also, I believe that you can join two Besseys to make a longer clamp, how effective is this? Any other makes worth considering?

2) Regarding finishing, I was contemplating spraying the insides of the units before I assemble them. Any reason not to do this? I am assuming that I will need to tape off the bits that will be glued? Also, any thoughts as to the best varnish like stuff to use that can be sprayed easily? I dont mind the ply looking like ply, but it will need to be sealed properly so that the insides can be wiped clean.

Sorry, lots of questions but any words of wisdom gratefully appreciated :D

Many thanks

Mrs C":2wz3x7ey said:
1)...Can I overclamp a domino joint?
Nope, don't think so - I've certainly never managed it. Provided you've cut your mortices deep enough I can't see what the problem might be, assuming plenty of glue, etc.. etc..

Soz, not a clamp fetishist (any clamp than can exert more pressure than I can with my bare hands is fine by me) so can't advise, I'm sure there'll be one along soon who can help... Out of interest, is there any reason why you can't whack in a few carcass screws and use an end panel to hide them?

2) Regarding finishing, I was contemplating spraying the insides of the units before I assemble them. Any reason not to do this? I am assuming that I will need to tape off the bits that will be glued? Also, any thoughts as to the best varnish like stuff to use that can be sprayed easily? I dont mind the ply looking like ply, but it will need to be sealed properly so that the insides can be wiped clean.
Sounds like a plan. I generally just lacquer the whole thing then scuff up the surface where the edges abut with a bit of abrasive. I like Junckers Strong water-based poly (floor lacquer, actually) and apply with a foam roller, personally, but if you have the facilities to spray, then go for it.

HTH Pete

Fir making panels and sheet material stuff, I've used the Bessey Uniclamps without any issues. For big section stuff I use Sash clamps. I haven't any Vero clamps.

Mrs C":2s3wf6o9 said:
I believe that you can join two Besseys to make a longer clamp, how effective is this?

I do this maybe three or four times a year when I've got a project longer than my longest 2000mm Revo cramps. It works fine, and for occasional use it's by far the best solution, but it's still quite a faff and you certainly wouldn't want to do it every day.

Have dominoes taken over from biscuits? I use biscuits, screws and glue for ply or mdf cabinet construction. Filling the countersunk screw heads before paint. As Peter shows in his YT videos, I use a small roller to apply paint or varnish then de-nib. I don't have any Bessey clamps (tho' I'd like some) I use aluminium sash clamps to hold the joints, then srew through pre-drilled holes. Clamps can come off before the glue dries to be used on the next cabinet.

mugginsNO1":1r3uqxsb said:
Have dominoes taken over from biscuits? I use biscuits, screws and glue for ply or mdf cabinet construction. Filling the countersunk screw heads before paint. As Peter shows in his YT videos, I use a small roller to apply paint or varnish then de-nib. I don't have any Bessey clamps (tho' I'd like some) I use aluminium sash clamps to hold the joints, then srew through pre-drilled holes. Clamps can come off before the glue dries to be used on the next cabinet.

I don't think dominoes have taken over from biscuits, because there are times when a domino, even a small one would be inferior to a biscuit and the general application usage is different in several ways as well.

I was always led to think biscuits are used primarily for aligning purposes with a modicum of extra strength included, but being thin and elongated but not very wide, usage has it's limitations.

Dominoes are more like a replacement for a motice and tenon joint, as their shape compared to a biscuit can give a real solid facsimile of a hand cut M&T joint for much less time spent.

You would not use biscuits to form the base frame of a chair or stool - even if the wood sections were deep enough to accept them, this is the perfect application for a domino.

Conversely using dominoes to form the box of say a kitchen cabinet carcass would be overkill, but the thinner elongated biscuits are ideal.

I think the habit of "dominoes for everything" has come largely from people either not owning a good reliable biscuit jointer, or because they find using the domino second nature despite that inreality for some applications it's overkill.

Having said that, if you happen to know anyone who's throwing one out (working of course) I'll be happy to take it off thier hands..... for research purposes only you understand :)

Mrs C":p5jgeron said:
Thank you folks, Petes videos are really useful :)
That's good to hear, thanks. :D

Re. biscuits vs dominos, I think it's simply that if you have a domino you tend to use it, wether it's 'overkill'or not, it's one tool for the muscle-memory to recall, one set of cutters, one type of fixings to stock etc.. etc..

Totally fair points made above re the shape of the connector and their uses etc.., and Custard also made some excellent points recently in another thread about how tight-fitting dominos in thin material can cause a slight swelling of the finished surface, whereas looser biscuits don't. But for most of us workaday makers cranking out carcasses in MDF, MFC and plywood, if you have a domino, you'll use it.

Cheers, Pete

Back