Ply backed pine cupboard doors.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat ferret

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have made pine cupboard doors by mortice and tenoning the frames together and grooving them internally to accommodate 12mm tongue and groove or ply. I use 32mm planed red pine for the frames and every so often a door warps so badly I have to make another which is a pain.

I have some tall narrow wardrobe doors to make. Can I use 19mm ply cut to the size of the door, glue on a mock frame of 20 x 70mm planed red pine and cover the panels with 12mm tongue and groove with a rebate in the "frame" to hide the edges. Then it would look like a pine door from the front. I could glue/ screw 20 x 38mm round the edges of the door for the hinges to be morticed into and to allow for any planeing.

Would these warp? Seems like a good idea but couldn't find any reference to this exact method of construction on the net.

Also what should I glue? Frame to ply obviously but what about the tongue and groove?

Thanks.

I would have thought that the force of the pine would move a 19mm plywood board. Will depend on the size of the doors. How tall / wide are they?

I would guess the warping is down to the quality of the T&G, I have made doors this size out of American Popular, some with solid inserts, others with glass and they have all been very good with no movement at all. I have used T&G bought from B&Q and to be honest the wood is very poor, it has a lot of movement.

All I can suggest is that you give it a try

Back