Ungluing 1930s doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically no chance. I'd just trim them or make new.
Hogwash - I've reduced reclaimed doors multiple times. As people have said you carefully cut through the joints on the rail side, (so the kerf edge doesn't damage the stile) trim to suit paying attention to the moulding and the mitre required, decent loose tenons and voila.

Not owning a domino I simply made a loose 100mm tenons from similar wood ensuring the grain was perpendicular to the joint and really really dry**, and then 2 mortices and made sure it was a snug fit.

** I've been known to bake tenons in the oven on low heat for a while and I do the same with biscuits if they have been in my shed a long time.

If the existing tenon is a though wedge make the loose tenon the same type with full length slightly proud of the stile edge, just as they did originally, just glue in with strong adhesive in the rail first and let that go off before final assembly.

For assembly glue goes in, tenon expands a bit - solid.

What's the problem? This is not hard for even a moderately competant woodworker.

Just take it slow and methodical, check all your measurments twice etc etc. and pics with a WIP please :)

Back