Plunge saw festool or makita but which

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corky74

Established Member
Reaction score
Never owned owt festool but narrowed down to festool or makita plunge saw with rails obviously. Just can't decide if the festool is really that much better, I do like my old makita gear but festool looks good bit of kit too, advice needed, it will only be used as a rail saw which ever I get, probably use it few times a week at most

Prob not much to choose between them, except the makita doesn't have a riving knife which might be an issue if you plan on ripping solid timber with it ( I have the festool and use it quite a bit for rippping the waney edge off boards)

Woodmonkey":1rcypzpo said:
Prob not much to choose between them, except the makita doesn't have a riving knife which might be an issue if you plan on ripping solid timber with it ( I have the festool and use it quite a bit for rippping the waney edge off boards)
Didn't know it didn't have riving knife, guess that could be the deal breaker, mafell looks good too but probably price too much as well, but does look good

I have the Festool TS 55 and 75, both brilliant saws and wouldn't be without them, the only thing apart from the rails to add, is the extractor really does make a difference.

Not knocking the other rail saws but this green slippery slope is expensive. :D

Mark.

There is also the Dewalt. I have this one and it is excellent. It has a riving knife. I'd say the dust collection was marginally better than than the TS55 too...

I can't speak for the Makita or the Dewalt saws but I do have both the TS55 and TS75 Festool saws. Both are excellent and have cut everything I've ever asked of them (mdf, mfc, laminate worktops, solid surface material, high gloss acrylic sheet, soft & hard woods)

I also agree with Chippy Joe,.....the dust extractor makes a big difference!!!!!

moosepig":2p3fopjf said:
Another vote for the DeWalt here. Excellent bit of kit. Plus the rails can be used either way around as both edges have anti splinter strips. DX is excellent. Very good deal at the moment from Axminster for saw plus one rail: http://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-dws52 ... ail-508669
Good price that.. I did look at dewalt and few years back I'd av snapped it up but had a drill recently and quality wasn't there in the build anymore,felt very toy like, obviously plunge saw could be amazing, I've not held one, my old 240 v compound is dewalt n that's been a real work horse and still going strong, weighs a ton but cuts through owt, I've read a few trades knocking dewalt recently, maybe not justified whi knows, just don't often see makita being knocked n don't think I've ever seen a bad word against festool, so they must be doing something right.

Chippyjoe":2asd5dv1 said:
I have the Festool TS 55 and 75, both brilliant saws and wouldn't be without them, the only thing apart from the rails to add, is the extractor really does make a difference.

Not knocking the other rail saws but this green slippery slope is expensive. :D

Mark.

What extractor are you using at mo ?

Another DeWalt owner here. Had very heavy use and not missed a beat. Accurate with superb dust extraction. I can't stand the DeWalt rails though and now run it on my Festool track - which it does perfectly.

Cheers
Simon

Doingupthehouse":w5g68bpn said:
Another DeWalt owner here. Had very heavy use and not missed a beat. Accurate with superb dust extraction. I can't stand the DeWalt rails though and now run it on my Festool track - which it does perfectly.

Cheers
Simon
Is it down to the extractor you use or the saw

Corky74":2kxascmr said:
Doingupthehouse":2kxascmr said:

Cheers
Simon
Is it down to the extractor you use or the saw
Definitely the saw - I just use a cheap Chinese shop vac with mine, better vac on the wish list. As long as long as there's wood on both sides of the cut it's almost dust-free. Makes a bit of a mess if you're just taking a planing cut though, but I think all track saws would do that.

Corky74":oknxeug7 said:
Never owned owt festool but narrowed down to festool or makita plunge saw with rails obviously. Just can't decide if the festool is really that much better, I do like my old makita gear but festool looks good bit of kit too, advice needed, it will only be used as a rail saw which ever I get, probably use it few times a week at most
If you buy the Makita you may well wish you'd bought the Festool.
If you buy the Festool I'm pretty certain you won't wish you'd bought the Makita.

pcb1962":1xt0zfnl said:
Corky74":1xt0zfnl said:
If you buy the Festool I'm pretty certain you won't wish you'd bought the Makita.
good logic that ..festool has won I reckon

pcb1962":n5wesnqa said:
Corky74":n5wesnqa said:
But that is more down to brand desirability.

In a lot of group tests on these tracksaws the Makita and Mafell models come out on top over it.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

The problem with the Makita and Mafell is you don't have any bragging rights if you own them. :mrgreen:

Mike

I like what I've seen of the makita plunge saw but lack of riving knife could be a problem cutting certain timber possibly, only thing that put me off it really,which is why I'm leaning towards festool

I have the festool
I have ripped and flipped over 4" timber to get through it
never missed a beat but did jam in the cut as it closed behind me
I hate to think how it would have reacted without a knife
i also done a stupid cut trying to stretch across a large board (you know it is going to go wrong, and you still do it)
when it jumped off the rail ( I know dumb move) it came down on the knife and never tore through me or the rail

Steve

Latest posts

Back