Plug cutters recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamburglar

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me a plug cutter set that will form nice tight plugs?

Been looking at the Veritas and the Diston sets.

Grateful for any opinions

Cheers

H

Veritas are excellent but expensive, the Axminster own brand taper cutters are very good especially for the money

Aidan

You may jest, I bought a set of tapered and parallel plug cutters from Aldi for £4.99 each, admittedly I have only used them in softwood so far, and as I may only use them 2/3 times a year, they are good value to ME.

Rich.

I don't consider the Veritas tapered cutters to be that expensive really, considering the excellent results they give. It's the kind of investment you should only have to make once - same can't be said for many of the cheaper options out there. :)

I've got the Veritas 1/2 and the Trend Snappy 3/8" both work equally well, the trend is parallel with a short tapered lead so works better in shallower holes.

Jason

Hi H,
My vote is for veritas as well. With the tapered cut, they form a nice tight seal every time.
As Olly says, it's the sort of tool you only buy once if you look after it, so spreading the cost over the years doesn't come out too bad.
Hope that helps

Malc :D

Think I'm going to go for the Veritas. Thanks for the advice.

Next thought is metric or imperial?!! Any thoughts appreciated.

For some reason I'm drawn to imperial, though I have good quality drill bits in both.

Thanks

H

The Veritas plug cutter is a peach, bit jumpy sometimes maybe...

Metric or imperial depends I suppose on what you plan to use it for. I use mine with a 3/8" countersink/bore bit. Fits a treat :D

Also I bought the Disston Screwdiggers but was quite disappointed with them :(

What...no recommendations for the Clico ones?...I've got at least four of them in a 'baccy tin somewhere :^o :^o :whistle: - Rob

Back