plug conversion?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave323

Established Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to turn a tool with german power plug into UK? Sorry i'm not well read on this :) German power lead 2 prongs, not sure what Voltage they use? Is it possible to adapt them to UK plugs? Looking at some better german prices on festool :idea:

Cheers

Yes, but they cost the same/more than a replacement plug. I sell a lot of european electrical items and some of them are supplied with adaptors. As a reseller this removes the need for me to be competent to change the plug before I sell it. This isn't an issue for home use so i'd suggest you go and buy yourselve a box of Duraplugs or similar :D

Voltage is the same as UK.

Easiest option is to use a German Extension socket. (Usually 2-3 Euros)
socket.jpg

Not so sure purchasing in Germany is best idea if you want warrantee help though unless you have easy/regular access to supplier.

Alternate is to cut plug off and fit UK standard.

Thanks guys. Bearers of good news. I was thinking of buying some older 2nd hand festool then hopefully I will see something in my price range :)

Voltage permitting, can you not just buy a UK Festool "plug it" lead for what ever tool you are interested in ?

Hi Dave, yep - just chop and swop plugs

Europe is there or abouts same voltage as us

main issue is with american tools, as they run on 60hz and europe is 50hz - eg american var. speed router would go **** up eventually

dont panic if no earth, as all ce tools should be double insulated.

Cheers

Having moved from UK to Belgium for 7 years and then back again I can strongly recommend replacing the plugs. After awhile using adaptors becomes a right pain. The spring contacts in adaptors are poor and they fail after awhile. Definitly change the plugs on anything remotely portable or spend your life looking for the matching extension lead.

Back