Please help if you can

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thick_mike":378ae8lu said:
devonwoody":378ae8lu said:
I have had another peek at the motor this morning and cannot see any other caps. so this afternoon I will empty the container and tube of dust and do some test runs out in the garden.

If no further discharges perhaps it is static ( and that humidty yesterday) that was causing the explosions.

The system isolates the electrics from the metal container and the motor is in an insulated area at the top as well.

Usually there is less static build up on humid days. The charge is dissipated through the moisture in the air.

I would certainly follow Bob's advice rather than mine! From your photo it looks like the suppressor has blown.

Bob, 9fingers says the cap does not need to be replaced?

Oh reading both of Bobs posts I see he does suspect the capacitor but no need to replace, except I dont like the bang, so if it is the cause I will get a new one. Any suggestions, you know who will be expensive!

John, your best course of action is to cut the three leads to the suppressor and put some tape over each cut end.

A replacement from the manufacturer is likely to be expensive and you really don't need this part.
Save your pension for some more wood!

Bob

It's not very likely Allen. The main location of any interference is in the medium and long wave bands and there are so many manmade noise sources in these bands now such as PCs (and Macs!), switchmode power supplies in nearly everything, ADSL broadband, homeplug networks etc etc that MW & LW broadcast are virtually unusable anyway.
Higher frequency radiation will drop off rapidly with range such that the audible noise from the extractor will be louder than the effect of and RFI.
Manufacturers fit solely to meet approvals at the time of sale as I have already said.

Bob

Thanks all, capacitor removed, it had two sliders and a bolted earth so came off easy. I have not insulated the bare blades on the lives, they are exposed but not touchable.

The machine runs without those explosions :p

4w.jpg

Attachments

• 4w.jpg
    4w.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 10
Back