Wet electric motor, help needed please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
The building next door to my workshop burnt down last week, Fire Brigade were brilliant, the power was turned off at the roadside isolators before any water entered my building so definitely no power involved. (I was there). The trouble was that water has probably entered the three-phase motor on my dust extractor unit. I have now had limited power back on for a week but not to the motor, and I put an oil filled radiator underneath the motor, it has been just nicely warm to the touch for five days, the motor spins by hand. My way of thinking is that the motor got wet, it’s now dry it should be ok, unless of course you know different!
The same is true of my main circuit breaker board which has been disconnected and taken home to stand in front of the log burner for the past week - not too close, just nicely warmed through. Not quite so bothered about the breakers they can be changed easily enough.
Thanks in anticipation. Ian

The ideal solution is to get someone to perform an insulation test, (megger test) which will indicate any leakage paths due to potential water ingress. The other option is to just try it but do not touch the metalwork, if it does run ok and no protective devices trip then you could assume you have dried it out and by leaving it running the motor fan will dry out anything still there. The circuit breaker board will dry out just fine, keep all the parts warm and they will dry.

Inform your insurance.

They'll probably suggest an inspection and a safety report which, if the issue was a fire next door (other party) fees and inspection/repairs should be the basis of a claim.
I wouldn't take any chances with 3ph..... the belt is extremely unpleasant!

If you do any damage by short-cutting, it may invalidate your insurance.

Thanks spectric, very reassuring, my landlords have supplied a local company so will get them to check that for me.
Cheers Ian
Hi Argus, yes the landlords have asked the local company to do an inspection report so that bits in hand thanks.

Latest posts

Back