Please allow me to introduce myself

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter

Established Member
Reaction score
I`ve been viewing this site for a few years and so it`s about time I actually contributed to it.
First a brief history of myself, Left school in 1973, always wanted to be a policeman but was advised by my dad to get a trade first,`not engineering, that's had it. Get in the building game where you can carry your tools with you anywhere in the word.` (sound advice but didn't seem so at 16 years of age!) So became an apprentice joiner at what was then called SELNEC, (later Greater Manchester Transport) in their buildings department carrying out maintenance and new building work to their property all over Manchester,(not just bus stations). Lots of variety of work meant that you made it in the shop and fitted it on site yourself, so an excellent all round apprenticeship.
I served my time, got my City And Guilds and ONC in building and after 7 years decided to try for the Police.
I joined GMP in 1980 and soon became a valuable asset to senior officers as a joiner! `Were you a joiner constable? Yes sir, well I`ve just had new carpet fitted in my office and my doors wont shut. Get your tools and fix them` There were no please or thank-you`s from senior officers in them days!
I remained in GMP for over 27 years and was able to retire 18 months ago thanks to a carry over of pension from my time as a joiner. I`ve kept my hand in throughout the years and have never let go of any of my tools,(worth a fortune now).
Since finishing i`ve done a few jobs for family and friends as well as making a set of bedroom furniture for my move to France,(another story!)
Well that about sums it up regarding me and I hope to be able to contribute from time to time.
P.S. Dan Tovey, my girlfriend lives about a 40 second walk away from your shop, (on a road named after a tree) so I may well come and introduce myself to you one day soon.

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have had a fair bit of experience over the years! Well done for the your first post, and I hope to see soe projects and pictures being completed in the future!
Simon.

Welcome to the Forum Dexter - with a name like that do you parcel up pieces in black plastic bags too :lol: :lol:

Rod

Hi Dexter and welcome.

We're having a bit of a get together at Dan's 'shop on 7th March - i'm sure we could make room for another if you wanted to come along.

Cheers

Karl

dexter":34k7nxsr said:
P.S. Dan Tovey, my girlfriend, lives about a 40 second walk away

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:wink:
-
-
-

Just kidding.........it seemed so obvious I'm surprised nobody else has done this!!!

Welcome Dexter. (Sorry Dan!!)

Mike

Latest posts

Back