Plastic storage boxes for screws etc.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you need some size of Lock n lock type kitchen storage.
You have to shop smart to get good prices but they are durable and the lids are reliable.
Also come in a vast range of sizes so you can pick different size boxes for small and large screws.
Dust and damp proof...

I use kitchen boxes to keep all sorts of smaller tools organised and free from damp but not for screws.
Personally I have Stanley sortmaster junior boxes - what you don't want - but I have a separate case for each diameter of screw and bolt that I use lots of - #3 through #6 woodscrews, M4 through M12 nuts n bolts, more for exterior grade screws, wall plugs and frame fixings, etc. So the compartments only separate the screws by length. Maybe 18 cases and they sit nicely on a shelf.

Ta da
8dbb701cc5d74a24c4a7a64e01db29fe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

loftyhermes":3pbtpsqc said:
Chinese take away cartons, they're clear and come with a lid.

I use these too for storage of all sorts of bits. Best part is that they are free of course.

Real woodworkers make their own boxes!
I'm just doing some based on originals about 12x12x28" ish. They stack neatly on top of each other or sit on shelves like drawers (handles routed out of the ends). Then subdivide inside with little boxes, trays etc.
Big enough to hold several power tools, or a stack of turning gouges etc.
Could even do posh ones with DTs if I had the time.
I'm looking at making them modular so they stack together in various sizes, or could be turned into drawers, given a chest.
Mostly scraps and offcuts, joining some old boards etc. Various old tins, from biscuit via tobacco to sweeties, go inside the boxes

I reckon I need between 30 and 40, Jacob. I was planning on making them out of ply......but damn, that's a lot of work when they're not a pound each in plastic. If they were 12" x 12" x 28" that would be one thing, but I want them about 4" x 7" x 3". That's a lot of stuffing about .....

MikeG.":3ar5bv96 said:
I reckon I need between 30 and 40, Jacob. I was planning on making them out of ply......but damn, that's a lot of work when they're not a pound each in plastic. If they were 12" x 12" x 28" that would be one thing, but I want them about 4" x 7" x 3". That's a lot of stuffing about .....
Well that's woodwork for you! Same applies to anything else you want to make - much easier to buy something from Ikea or made of plastic.
Setting up to make 40 boxes 4x7x3" sounds like a nice little project. I'd do the sides with say 8 to 10 mm softwood and ply for the bottoms - just clapped on, glued and pinned. Tongue and groove corner joint easiest but you could practice your DTs.
I recently did 30 trays for a local women's craft group. About A4 size with 2" sides. Used up a lot of offcuts but had to buy a sheet of 3mm ply
I'm trying to free myself from plastic as much as possible.

I was going to do it as you describe, but overhang the base by about 10mm each side, and use this to slide in a groove in the verticals of the carcass. I was also going to overhang it at the front to form a drawer pull. The downside was that I would need to write on the front, somehow, to describe the contents.

John Brown":3lhmdfw9 said:
When I were a lad, folks used to use clear jam jars, with the lid screwed to the underside of a shelf.

So did my dad. I remember all the blood, every time he tried to unscrew the remnants of a jam jar smashed by a clumsily-swung bit of wood or, more often, sash clamp.

You probably don't eat jam, though..

Wrong! :lol:

MikeG.":17txvz1u said:
I was going to do it as you describe, but overhang the base by about 10mm each side, and use this to slide in a groove in the verticals of the carcass. I was also going to overhang it at the front to form a drawer pull. The downside was that I would need to write on the front, somehow, to describe the contents.
Felt tip? Sticky labels? You can buy little slot-in-a card bits of hardware not sure what they are called. And handles. Or turn your own knobs. Wosser problem we are woodworkers!

Jacob":3mf4ae5x said:
.... Wosser problem.......

Time! I've got a house with no stairs* or internal doors. I've got furniture to make which will take me years. I've got 3 outbuildings to build. And I'm working full time........

*Temporary stair made of 9x2s. Handrail & 'newels' of 2x2. No ballusters.

MikeG.":3rv4pt1i said:
My brother-in-law put a blob of clear silicon on the front of his little drawers and stuck one of whatever is in the drawer to it. That way he knows what in in each drawer without having to open them to check.

Wish you'd posted this about 2 months ago - we had a person move out of the house (HMO) and she had been hoarding all her plastic takeaway boxes (about 2/3 a week for 2 years. There were easily a hundred, filled our plastic recycling box.

I kept some but only about 10 - you could have had those for the cost of shipping.

oh well.

edit - I've just measured one: 4.5 x 7 x 2 inches. almost perfect, darn it.

Back