Plastic extrusion for glass door panel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I have some interior wooden doors with large glass panels, the panels have a soft(ish) clear(ish) plastic extrusion in the housing on both sides of the glass. Somehow (grandchildren?), one of the strips has gone missing.
My phone camera refuses to focus on the end cross section, but it's
|-|-|
in profile, and about 6.7mm by 4.7mm.
I'm sure it's not that exotic, but I'm struggling for the right search terms.

I've attached a crude sketch to show what I'm talking about, but it's possible that the extrusion is supposed to be portrait, rather than landscape. I just pulled a bit out to look at.

1654872650512.jpg

Last edited:
No. There's no sliding involved.
I thought these doors were oak, but turns out they're just veneered (as I found out when I trimmed the bottom of one), but the almost full size glass panels have been dropped in through a slot at the top of the door, and then this double H profile plastic/rubber strip has been inserted on either side of the glass, all the way round to keep it in place and stop it rattling around. My sketch doesn't make that clear, as it's just a cross section of the bottom, but the sides and the top are the same. As I said, it's a double H profile compressible translucent extrusion. I guess I can find some alternative to do the same job, but it seems there must be a supplier, if I only knew what to search for...

OK, I've pulled the whole length out to get a better look. Phone camera still refuses to focus, so I've attempted to draw the profile. It seems obvious now that it should be pressed into the gap, the barbed parts hold it in place and the rounded top is exposed(if you peer into the gap).
1654883440668.jpg

Something like this? You have to click on the tiny icon at the bottom left of the main image to see the profile

Try Eurocell, they have lots of mouldings and profiles or window fitters mate type places, maybe a local glaziers shop.

Ollie

I can see the idea and its not a million miles away from the rubbers that hold double glazeing units in place, so do check out double glazeing fitters, esp if you see them doing an install, they seem to carry a load of stuff in their vans, if you cannot get identical it might be that you would get a profile that works,,trouble is its likely to be black and not clear,,
Steve.

I can see the idea and its not a million miles away from the rubbers that hold double glazeing units in place, so do check out double glazeing fitters, esp if you see them doing an install, they seem to carry a load of stuff in their vans, if you cannot get identical it might be that you would get a profile that works,,trouble is its likely to be black and not clear,,
Steve.

I wonder if 6mm or so clear plastic tubing would do for the missing section. Warm it up, push it in. Or half it along its length and fit it round side towards glass. Easy to find and cheap, could be worth a go.

Back