Fitting lead glass panel to oak door.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi I'm going to put lead glass panels in to an oak internal door but I'm a bit worried that if I leave a couple of mm gap it will move and if I don't and it's tight then it might crack when the frame expands and contracts. I thought about putting a bead of caulk or silicon in the rebate to 'cushion' the panel. Anyone done this before?

I releaded and refitted a Victorian stained glass panel over our front door, under tuition on an evening class. The lead strip (came) which holds the glass is H-shaped in cross section. Internally, there is glass on each side of the H, but the outer surround to the window has the empty half of the H. This makes an edge with a bit of give to it, ok to size for a reasonable close fit into the wood. Then add glazing beads with some putty for weatherproofing.

I have used silicone bead in the past to cushion as you say but I have also used 2mm foam tape. Black works with Oak and after 5 minutes you don't notice it

Back