Plantation shutter louvres.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbrains

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I fancy making some plantation shutters for our house, and wondered if anyone has done anything like this here. Everything is reasonably straight forward, except the louvres, which are elliptical in cross section. Cannot think of an efficient way of doing these as there are many in each set. I've a small spindle moulder, but don't think something like this would be in its capacity. The louvres are about 3 1/2 in wide and elliptical from about 1/2 in thick at the middle to a 1/4 round at both edges. I was thinking of making a plane with the shape I need for 1/4 of the profile, but a lot of work for four windows worth! Any ideas?

Mike.

Here is a section of what I mean.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 352
Hi Mike,

Jason made some and posted about it on the 'other side'. Go to woodworkuk.com and search for Plantation shutters WIP.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I made some a few years back and found the WIP Paul mentions to be really useful ...I think this is it?
http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3592&f=9

Woodbrains do you have a Thicknesser? To make the louvres I made a former jig to sit on the thicknesser bed to plane off the edges over 4 passes.

They weren't as aerodynamic as the one you show but I was pleased with the results (Lots of repetion and finishing tho, you can see why they are as pricey as they are :shock: )

A few shots on the blog https://jamessmckay.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/plantation-shutters/

Cheers Jim

Hello,

Thanks for the tip, but his weren't elliptical, but a sort of squashed octagon. Might have to do similar if I can't think of a way to make them the way I want. There was a pessimistic poster there (not just on these forums, then) who said he couldn't understand why anyone would want them, as they block out too much light. When painted white they are actually quite bright. Considering curtains actually obscure quite a lot of window, even when drawn open, I think they look cool and don't take away from the window architrave and the architecture of the room.

Mike.

Hello,

Sorry, I was looking at the WIP and typing this when all the replies came in. Thanks everyone for the links.

Yes, I do have a thicknesser. Already thought of the flat tapered fins, just thought I might try here for any ideas on the elliptical ones. As I thought, might be too hard too do.

Mike.

Norm (NYW) made some on one of his programmes awhile back. I seem to remember he made a former to put the louvres in and passed them through his thicknesser.

Cheers

Oz

How about creating the curved faces with a rotating jig in the lathe?
Basically make a cylinder and cut out a recess for the embryo slat. and turn one curved face.

make a second cylinder of the same diameter with a curved recess in it to fit the first curved face and use that to make the second side.
Fettle the edges by hand.

MM

How about thicknessing to a flat octagon as said, then turning the negative shape in a wooden cylinder, to which you attach [d/s tape?] 80 grit abrasive strips. spin this abrasive former at a suitable speed in the lathe or even drill press and run the louvre blanks between it and a fence. Sort of a shaped sanding drum.

Search ebay.com for plantation shutter router cutter sets, there's loads of them do exactly what you require and not too speedy either.

I remember the NYW episode - he had some cutters made for moulding the shutters IIRC, the former was to hold the shutters while passing through a portable moulding machine

dm65":3as6crmj said:
I remember the NYW episode - he had some cutters made for moulding the shutters IIRC, the former was to hold the shutters while passing through a portable moulding machine

Hello,

Those portable moulding machines might be peculiar to the US. Essentially a thicknesser which can be fitted with moulding knives, of a sort. Have seen them when I was in America, but can't think of an equivalent over here. In any case, I don't have one, but thanks for the tip!

Mike.

You're welcome, let us know how you get on, I may well do the same in the near future so any tips would be very welcome.
Richard

Richard S":3itim347 said:
You're welcome, let us know how you get on, I may well do the same in the near future so any tips would be very welcome.
Richard

Hello,

I'll let you know how I get on. I did reply earlier, basically saying what a dimwit I was not looking on ebay, or from an American source, but the message seems to have got lost. (Hence thanking you again, despite you not seeing the first 'thank you' )

Anyway, the cutter looks the biz, will order a couple to be going on with.

Mike.

dickm":hlqkck4v said:
Out of interest, how are you planning on making the recesses in the stiles for the louvres?

Hello,

In this case, there are no slots in the stiles, the louvres move on pivots at the centre, to shut out light, or allow light in, as required.

Mike.

Back