Plantation shutter louvres.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whiskywill":1qok86ho said:
Just Google images for "fingerboard radius jig" and you will find many ideas of how to do something similar using a router.

Hello,

This is interesting, but would not fancy making upwards of 90 double sided fins like this, of widely differing lengths! However, the ideas are great and prescient just now. Next term one of the students at school is going to be making a guitar for a tech project. This is likely to be something we will use.

I have ordered a dedicated router cutter for the louvres. They are common in the States though unheard of here, it seems.

Mike.

dickm":1fgbqbgy said:
woodbrains":1fgbqbgy said:
In this case, there are no slots in the stiles, the louvres move on pivots at the centre, to shut out light, or allow light in, as required.

Mike.
So it's not really a shutter, more a heavy venetian blind! :D

Hello,

Very heavy! The louvres I need are about 3 1/2 in wide, and I have seen them over 4. The frames they are in are hinged to open them and can be bi -fold and even tri-fold, so they are indeed, shutters too!

Mike.

OK, you win!
Back in the 1940s, the "windows" in our farm buildings in Herefordshire had a similar arrangement, but only the louvres moved, not the frame. Just square-ish timber louvres set on steel spindles into the window frame, to provide some ventilation. Much less elegant than your version, and more like the louvre vents that can be fitted to greenhouses.

Hi woodbrains, did you ever get round to making the shutters? I've been thinking about doing some, would be interested to see how they work.

Back