Planes - how bad is bad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Mr Grim has bought lots of planes he doesn't really need, spent time fettling them up, posted photos of the process.

He's bought an expensive new sharpening stone, just to see if to helps.

He's got rid of a jointer plane due to a curved sole, in the quest for a flatter sole.

He's flattened the sole of a plane on Sic paper.

I don't know when it happened, but Grim has become a tool fiddler!

Welcome to the club!

BugBear

bugbear":35bovemx said:
Hmm. Mr Grim has bought lots of planes he doesn't really need, spent time fettling them up, posted photos of the process.

He's bought an expensive new sharpening stone, just to see if to helps.

He's got rid of a jointer plane due to a curved sole, in the quest for a flatter sole.

He's flattened the sole of a plane on Sic paper.

I don't know when it happened, but Grim has become a tool fiddler!

Welcome to the club!

BugBear
No no not me squire god forbid!
It's all in the cause of doing the work and improving my performance. A certain amount of fiddling is unavoidable and what I'm interested in is how little you can get away with; cost, as well as fiddling - hence freehand sharpening and cheap planes.
I'm dumping tools as I go - have sold a few on, not for profit unfortunately.

PS the point is I want to know about all the claims made for this and that, as far as practicable. Hence the stone - the cheapest Arkansas stone I could find, which seems good BTW

How do you account for this going for £51? Is it the stone - would the cognoscenti recognise this as arkansas, or is it just the box?

Losos":jlt76o7b said:
Alf":jlt76o7b said:
Oh, well hello to whoever. Can't log in any more and thus far the standard of "banter" on there hasn't moved me to make an effort to solve the issue.
Hi Alf - Yes it was me :roll: Of course you haven't a clue who I am since I've been virtually absent on here for two or more years (Other projects, broke my leg, familly illness etc.)
What ho! Well as it happens I was AWOL for just about as long, so we can both happily slip into a two year time warp. It's not hard - all the thread topics are pretty much the same as they were when we left... :lol: And you're not the only one needing a saw sharpening refresher course; I'm dreading the first saw I need to sharpen after such a long lay off. 8-[

BSM, my account of the Groz block is in the reviews on here someplace - iirc, it worked "out of the box" once I'd sharpened the iron too. They still said I was mad. The swine; they totally sunk the potential for a plane reviewing deal with Groz... :wink: :lol:

And Jacob, on that evidence you are a tool fiddler. Doesn't matter what your end goal is - and there are many - that there's fiddlin'. Congratulations. =D> :wink:

Alf":fumbqfcp said:
And Jacob, on that evidence you are a tool fiddler. Doesn't matter what your end goal is - and there are many - that there's fiddlin'. Congratulations. =D> :wink:
Aaagh no. Is that why I've grown hair on the palms of my hands?

Mr G Rimsdale":1yo0q7zo said:
How do you account for this going for £51? Is it the stone - would the cognoscenti recognise this as arkansas, or is it just the box?

Looks like one of the slates to me - could be Charnley, but most people's shots aren't colour corrected, so VERY hard to tell which one. I certainly wouldn't expect an Arkansas to show scratches like that.

I believe that there is a collectors market in old boxed stones - certainly Tony Murland's shop charges pretty high for them.

BugBear (whose 7" x 1 3/4" x 1" translucent Arkansas cost a quid, unboxed ;-)

Mr G Rimsdale":ctj5zeax said:
Alf":ctj5zeax said:
Aaagh no. Is that why I've grown hair on the palms of my hands?

dont worry grim, you'll soon shave them off while testing your plane edges :lol:

Back