Planes - how bad is bad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
I posted this over there. Thought I'd give it an airing here, just in case anybody is interested. Alf - somebody is asking after you over there if you want to drop in and say hello.

I'm always going on about top planes being not that good. Does it follow that the worst planes are not that bad?
This piece of rubbish was 99p on ebay. "Ess Vee" brand, made in India.

sv1.jpg

sv2.jpg

sv3.jpg

First - try it out on a piece of wood. No joy, everything seized, so it has to come apart and have all meeting surfaces cleaned up a bit so that they will either bed or move smoothly.

sv4.jpg

Next a quick hone at 30º. Yes a finish hone is too soon - but it shows up the defects and what you will have to do next.

sv5.jpg

Pretty rubbish really

sv6.jpg

So emergency measures - bring out the Grimsdale freehand honing jig MKII!
Basically a scrap of wood, a hole, a bolt and an old knob. Helps you get some pressure on the stone.

sv7.jpg

sv8.jpg

sv9.jpg

Actually felt quite hard this blade - hadn't had much (any?) use, probably good steel and most importantly, had never been blued on a grindstone.
Now for the face. Also pretty crappy. Not flattenable, so a micro bevel to get into good steel. This is the ruler trick, but without the ruler, which makes it a lot easier - the work of seconds.
NB about 20 minutes total on the case so far. The photos take longer.

sv10.jpg

Next to chip the rust from the sole

sv11.jpg

60 grit, white spirit on the planer bed, 5 minutes or so

sv12.jpg

Pretty rubbish really, but usable. Not as hard as normal cast iron - must be malleable steel like the posh planes?

sv13.jpg

Put it back together and adjust. The blade is slightly too long so you have to pull it back the last bit for a fine cut. But this will be OK after a few honings. The adjuster has normal thread unlike the Baily pattern, so turns the opposite way.
But hey presto - it planes OK on a nasty bit of oak.

sv14.jpg

Just about as good as a very good Record 4. The EssVee has a slightly raised cutting angle due to the back bevel so it feels slightly coarser.

sv15.jpg

But neither of them quite as good as a Veritas LA smoother. The different shavings shape is mainly down to the lack of cap iron, which on a normal plane will roll and/or crimp the shavings as they come off. But both of them have better lateral adjuster than the Veritas norris gadget - which doesn't work at all.

sv16.jpg

So this rubbish plane is perfectly usable, although not very nice. The handle is a bit tight but could be rasped into shape. The blade seems good and holds an edge. It'd do the job, no prob.
I forgot to time the makeover, perhaps 40 minutes plus some planing and fiddling time.
Another 10 minutes would give a very flat sole. Everything else could be polished up but I don't think I'll bother.
I'll probably bin it - but save the blade which seems very good (but rusty), and the cap iron.

Paul Chapman":3vc3kbbd said:
You could polish a cowpat but it would still be a cowpat :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Well it was a cowpat but now it's a usable plane. Anyway I'm not going to polish it!

Paul Chapman":1g9uxth7 said:
Mr G Rimsdale":1g9uxth7 said:
Well it was a cowpat but now it's a usable plane.

Still looks like a pile of dung to me :lol:

Paul
Well spotted. It is. I thought nobody would notice! It planes OK though, for a pile o dung!

PS where do you get your rubbish planes from Paul - the ones you are always complaining about? I've looked and looked but this is the worst I could find!

Jacob - don't bin it. Send it to me. I'll polish it good n proper.

Cheers

Karl

ps - i'll only polish it if you send the blade/chipbreaker as well.

Paul Chapman":3neo6qx0 said:
You could polish a cowpat but it would still be a cowpat :lol:

Paul
Could be a bit messy getting the bottom flat 8-[ :sick: :lol: - Rob

Mr G Rimsdale":1r91c8jg said:
I posted this over there. Thought I'd give it an airing here, just in case anybody is interested.
Just about as good as a very good Record 4.

Interesting. Not a brand I've heard of, but if the blade is hard, it may well take and hold a decent edge. Personally, with that amount of pitting I've have just ground a 1/8" of the length using either a hand dry grinder (and care), or my 60 grit "stone". Remember - work through the grits!

The handles looks like they may be decent wood. The rear tote could be easily improved by a woodworker with a rasp!

What was the result of your Record #4 buying spree - I think you must have a fleet of them by now; are you making a "dream #4" by taking the best part of each, or tuning all of them up?

The older Records, with their continuous frog bed and laminated blades are my favourite Bailey model - that I can readily get and afford, anyway.

BugBear

PS shame about the 5.45 postage on a 99p plane!

bugbear":bh59x5db said:
Mr G Rimsdale":bh59x5db said:
I posted this over there. Thought I'd give it an airing here, just in case anybody is interested.
Just about as good as a very good Record 4.

Interesting. Not a brand I've heard of, but if the blade is hard, it may well take and hold a decent edge. Personally, with that amount of pitting I've have just ground a 1/8" of the length using either a hand dry grinder (and care), or my 60 grit "stone".....
Not worth the effort for this plane and a little back bevel does the trick. The jig (above) is really good for flattening faces - on the 60 grit as per the sole flattening photo.
I think a lot of edge problems are caused by blueing on a bench grindstone. We've all done it, and we've all polished it off in the hopes that it will go away, but it doesn't - it'll be soft for years to come. If you can grind cool by hand things get a lot better.
The handles looks like they may be decent wood. The rear tote could be easily improved by a woodworker with a rasp!

What was the result of your Record #4 buying spree - I think you must have a fleet of them by now; are you making a "dream #4" by taking the best part of each, or tuning all of them up?
I've lost count, 4 I think, plus some bits. The best one is the one in the photo - unaltered except for sharpening etc. I'm not sure what makes it "best" but it is an older one I think

PS shame about the 5.45 postage on a 99p plane!
Absolutely. I hadn't noticed - I was too quick with the bid! You win some you lose some.

Correction.
The blade is slightly too long so you have to pull it back the last bit for a fine cut. But this will be OK after a few honings.
My mistake. The yoke to cap-iron aperture dictates the adjustment, not the blade length, so this is a permanent fault on this plane i.e. you can't quite fully retract the blade without grabbing it and pulling it back. A little modification required here, but not worth the candle.

And they thought I was mad getting the Groz block plane... Which proved exactly the same thing; it's almost impossible to find a plane you can't get to work. But you may assume actually using it regularly will drive you nuts in short order. So have we decided what "SV" stands for, 'cos I think I have... ;)

Mr G Rimsdale":2aoo0oy1 said:
Alf - somebody is asking after you over there if you want to drop in and say hello.
Oh, well hello to whoever. Can't log in any more and thus far the standard of "banter" on there hasn't moved me to make an effort to solve the issue.

This is a very useful thread - there are a lot of members of this forum who have not a great amount of experience and a very limited budget, and this really helps boost the confidence to take a chance on a cheap plane and see if it can be made useable, and also provides basic instructions as to what the job might involve. There is without a doubt a place for planes like those, and certainly a case for the "fixer-upper"!

ste_5150":3jdf78ok said:
This is a very useful thread - there are a lot of members of this forum who have not a great amount of experience and a very limited budget, and this really helps boost the confidence to take a chance on a cheap plane and see if it can be made useable, and also provides basic instructions as to what the job might involve. There is without a doubt a place for planes like those, and certainly a case for the "fixer-upper"!

In the same way you CAN climb Mount Everest in an anorak you bought from Oxfam and a packet of Sherberts in lieu of help...BUT...

It is far better getting a pre-war Record at a bootfair for a couple of quid (free postage! :wink: ) and restore that....the results will be much more satisfying. The mountaineering equivalent of waltzing along a river bank in yer flip flops!

:D

Jim

jimi43":1vixhe1m said:
It is far better getting a pre-war Record at a bootfair for a couple of quid

Well, older Record anyway. Since Record only started making planes in 1931, pre-war ones are moderately uncommon (and we don't all get up at 6:00 AM to clean out boot fairs!).

But any pre 1970 Record is a pretty good tool;

Easy signs to look for are:

Sharp cornered iron; can be easily spotted in eBay photos and from a distance at a car boot. 1930 to mid 1950's, according to Mr Lynch.

If you can see the frog's bedding surface, look for a "continuous" bedding area. 1931 to 1956, according to Mr Lynch.

http://www.recordhandplanes.com/dating.html

(note; on American web sites, post WWII planes are routinely disparaged as "not very good"; this is because pre-WWII American Stanley's exist out there is some quantity, and are very good tools. Amongst enthusiasts, pre-WWII Stanley are pretty much the norm)

edit; in the interest of making this thread a one-stop-shop, Stanley started manufacture of plane in England in 1937, having bought J.A. Chapman in Sheffield, so I wouldn't waste too much effort finding pre-war English Stanleys!

BugBear

Hi BB...

You are probably right...6am is a tad early for most I guess...

I got these two quite late though...sometimes you get sellers actually arriving later...it is worth looking at the back rows for new arrivals after the dealers have all gone:

DSC_0014.JPG

Left is a USA Stanley...right is a Record (obviously).

Jim

Alf":184mno3w said:
And they thought I was mad getting the Groz block plane... Which proved exactly the same thing; it's almost impossible to find a plane you can't get to work. .

ive got a groz (or possibly annant) no.7 which worked tollerably well out of the box - and a lot better once i'd swapped the blade for a jap laminate one i had kicking about

but saying that i also had a groz no4 which went back to axminster because the sole was so unlevel that never mind feeler guages you could stick a beer mat under one side while it was sitting on my cast iron TS

FWIW I dont think these cheapies are inherently bad , but the Quality control sucks so you can get ones that are as good as a record ,and ones that are worse than the cheapest of the shed planes

When I was younger and even more clueless, I spent about £60 on a Footprint jack plane - can't remember what it called itself. And I never got it to work.
As the years went by I bought/restored other planes of many different makes, qualities, shapes, sizes and ages and I would periodically go back to the footprint with no success.
Last year I just gave it away to a guy on a stall at a car boot (explaining that it was a pile of rubbish.) So I have met one irredeemable plane.

I'm surprised that Footprint was bad as their other stuff used to be top class (in an unpretentious sort of way).
I've never had one of their planes though.

The blade was top notch - and the adjustment mechanism; everything was good except the area and shape inside the mouth - not enough room. There was nothing I could do to stop shavings either concertinaring up solid, or curling back down solid. It only took one short pass and I'd have to take it apart to clear it.
A horrible design fault of both body and cap iron ..... it was the 80s ...

Alf":2onyj9em said:
Oh, well hello to whoever. Can't log in any more and thus far the standard of "banter" on there hasn't moved me to make an effort to solve the issue.

Hi Alf - Yes it was me :roll: Of course you haven't a clue who I am since I've been virtually absent on here for two or more years (Other projects, broke my leg, familly illness etc.)

Isn't it amazing I went over to 'tother place looking for you and find you're back here :lol:

I mentioned over there that I'm still using your treatise on hand saw sharpening, I'm probably still doing it badly but have had some success, I think I need a 'refresher' course sometime soon :lol:

Hope you are well.

Latest posts

Back