Planer/Thicknesser on a budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
El Barto":y0fd1gje said:
Still on the hunt for a PT. Would this be a cool project or just a massive waste of time and money? It looks ok except for the motor...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2379383800

Impossible to tell, only safe way would be to see before buying.

The motor in question has a gearbox on the end of it, so if thats damaged you could be looking at a lot of money to repair.

My advice is don't touch it with any pole let alone a barge one, there are so many good PT's out there why go for one that needs that amount of work?

Mike

Fun is an indulgence and fine if you have unlimited time and money, but as above if you need a PT go out and buy one that is working already, I was very lucky and bought one locally, very cheap and demonstrated, PT's like that do not come along very often.

Mike

galleywood":nl6mmc3n said:
Ring

Did you have to purchase any items, apart from the blades on the link you provided.
What fettling was involved.
Thanks
Hi you need to buy the self set blade holder to suit your machine then buy whatever number of blades you require not the cheapest I know but the time it saves on setup makes it well worth while I think of the top of my head cost me about £100 for the blade holder and 3 sets of blades, I used to pay around the £20 mark for the genuine Electra bekum blades which where good blades but did not last that long on hardwoods the new blades seem to hold their edge better, As to fettling the machine I had to raise the outfeed table by about 1.5mm as the esta bruck blades sit slightly higher but this was easily done as the outfeed has grub screws to assist this, the only other thing was the depth gauges when you set both tables to 0 alter the thicknesser gauge and the surface gauge allow for the difference in the blade height this is done by slackening 2 screws on each gauge the move accordingy. Hope that kind of makes sense but it really is not hard to do.
Thanks Jim

Thanks for the info Jim. I assume the holder and blades are sold as singles? So a two knife block needs two holders and two blades (about £150 Inc vat)?

MattRoberts":3rb2zyj9 said:
Thanks for the info Jim. I assume the holder and blades are sold as singles? So a two knife block needs two holders and two blades (about £150 Inc vat)?
I have been trying to find my receipt I have a feeling you could be correct so my guess at £100 might have been wrong the best thing to do is fire them an email or give them a call they are spot on to deal with I have no connections with the company just a happy customer hope that helps. I will keep looking for that receipt maybe I was hiding the cost from the wife lol.

Matt

I investigated these some time back, yes you do need a carrier and blade for each blade space on you block, the problem I had with them is the blade height is fixed, you will need to have the facility to raise or lower the outfeed table to ensure compatibility, but once set up they looked as though they would save some time, personally I like to fettle and have staid with my standard configuration.

Mike

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Kity 1647 & 638? There's one of each on eBay from the same seller and fairly local to me but can't find a whole lot of info out there about them. I know that the 1647 has a 3 cutter block and can plane up to 12 inches. Both run off 13amp - bonus!

One day this topic will be long forgotten but it doesn't look like it'll be short of replacements by the look of things...

It would appear that the ESTA knife system relies on stops on the Self-Set holder locating on the outside diameter of the cutter head.
Whilst this might be ok for planing, as outboard tables is adjustable - it might not be the case for thicknessing if the cutter head is not parallel to the thicknessing bed, and since the system is not adjustable any error cannot be tuned out.
What are the thoughts of others?

It's a fair point, however the cutter head would still be parallel to the thicknessing bed. The issue, however, would be whether the blades were still flush with the feed rollers or not.

I am of very limited experience regarding setting blades on a planer thicknesses but assume that the blade adjustment is there so that a balance can be achieved re alignment with the hottest table and parallelism across a board after thicknesses.
Unless everything is spot on ( and I am sure that it can be for some) a non adjustable system has problems too.

El Barto":18oo3mv1 said:
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Kity 1647 & 638? There's one of each on eBay from the same seller and fairly local to me but can't find a whole lot of info out there about them. I know that the 1647 has a 3 cutter block and can plane up to 12 inches. Both run off 13amp - bonus!

One day this topic will be long forgotten but it doesn't look like it'll be short of replacements by the look of things...

Back on topic... :twisted:

Back