Planer/Thicknesser on a budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the SIP version of that machine and it's fine, I've done loads with it and been happy with the results. Really quick and easy to swap from planing to thicknessing.
As far as dust extraction is concerned I'd definitely look for something as they create a lot of mess. I used to spend as much time clearing up as I did using the planer.
I bought a cheap second hand Elektra Bekum extractor and it copes with it perfectly, picks up nearly all of any chips produced.

That model is sold under various brands names. It's a really good entry option (I've just got one myself). Just ensure that the dust extraction hood is intact - it comes in two parts, a flip hood that is attached to the planer and a separate piece with the 100mm port on it. They're made of quite flimsy plastic, so often are broken.

The one you linked seems to have both parts though.

It's a good call regarding an extractor - this model can have problems if the chips aren't extracted properly, so you really do need one

That's a good point as well, I'd forgotten about the couple of times I used it without the extractor. The auto feed roller got jammed up with chips fairly quickly and I had to use a fair bit of heave to get the wood through. Extractor fitted, problem solved.

I can't remember the model number but any of the single bag extractors would probably do. If you look at Axminsters AWEDE2 machine on their web site that'll let you see the type I'm on about. There's quite a few on eBay, I got my Elektra one on gumtree for £30 and I've got a Record one that cost £45.
Not a fortune at all and one of the best additions to the workshop I think.

For a planer thicknesser on a budget you should also consider a DeWalt DW1160/61. I had one many years ago an it was a nice small machine. It did eat rubber feed rollers that i had to replace every few years, but this was an easy job and from memory not prohibitive. You may also be able to find a small Kity. An old Startrite might come up in your price range but I guess it would need a lot of work to make it presentable and reliable.
For extraction you need to look at a bag type chip extractor and not a drum type dust extractor.

Colin

El Barto":t3oxi2bq said:
Great thank you! Seen this not too far from me which looks alright:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2780881571

That is not really suitable to extract from a planer thicknesser, its a vacuum dust extractor and would not have the power to move chips of wood, its only capable of 190m3/hr any PT will need at least 1000m3/hr preferably 2000m3/hr.

Mike

MikeJhn":se57c3nn said:
El Barto":se57c3nn said:
Great thank you! Seen this not too far from me which looks alright:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2780881571

That is not really suitable to extract from a planer thicknesser, its a vacuum dust extractor and would not have the power to move chips of wood, its only capable of 190m3/hr any PT will need at least 1000m3/hr preferably 2000m3/hr.

Mike

Cheers Mike. What about the one I linked to above?

Thanks for the tips Mike and for the link, useful stuff there.

I’m hoping to bid on the p/t in my original post, and from I can gather the Elektra extractor I posted should be adequate for the job.

El Barto":2ed9xu5c said:
Ah thanks Colin. Would something like this be suitable? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electra-Beck ... 1438.l2649

Out of interest, does anyone feel like they're cheating a bit when they're using a planer/thicknesser? I've only ever used hand tools and really love using a plane and I don't want to lose that feeling! It sure would be nice to speed things up a bit though...

You’ll notice that even hand tool enthusiasts like Paul Sellers machine their timber to size at the start of a project (off-camera, of course!). Don’t worry, though - you’ll still need to give everything a swipe over with a smoother afterwards.

According to the manual that machine needs:

air flow volume ≥ 550 m3/h;
− vacuum at suction port of
machine ≥740 Pa;
− air speed at suction port of
machine ≥20 m/s;

Its one of those things that manufacturers always under estimate, it makes the machine look more efficient, take these figures with a pinch of salt.

My own PT of a similar size needs all the 2000M3/hr that my extractor gives, I would advise to go for the largest M3/hr extractor you can get into your workshop irrespective of make, its much better to overwhelm the extraction requirement than to have something that only just works.

My vacuum dust extractor which is the equivalent of the Axminster NVD750 http://www.axminster.co.uk/numatic-nvd7 ... r-ax782721 but made by Numatic, who make the NVD750 for Axminster does not cope with my PT, but on small tools with its four filters it is far better than most others.

Different beasts for different applications, in their own environment work excellently, take them out of their comfort zone and they are lacking.

Mike

El Barto,
two names worth looking out for are PJ and Fercell. They have produced high volume bag extractors for many years and come up for sale second hand. They were well constructed and often found in professional workshops.

Colin

Mike,
that's why I said "They have produced high volume bag extractors "
Most that you see coming up are the fine dust metal cabinet units with the shake down cloth filters inside, but they also did the high volume, low pressure, bag types.

Colin

Latest posts

Back