Planer/Thicknesser on a budget

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High Volume Bag Extractors is adding another level to an already confusing subject for those just starting out, if we can keep to the conventional descriptions it would help.

HPLV: High pressure low volume: vacuum cleaner type, typically the debris does not contact the fan, but is sucked through and into a bag or container, good for fine dust and small tool applications.

LPHV: Low pressure high volume: Large rotating fan type, typically the debris is sucked towards and through the fan into a bag, good for large debris similar to that off a Planer Thicknesser and ripping blades on table saws.

Mike

Well some b*astard outbid me on the Elektra so I'm gunna keep on looking. Annoying as it was only down the road as well.

Are the machines by Fox/Lumberjack (I'm assuming there are a lot of the same machine rebadged) any good or is it worth holding out for a better used one?

I think you will find the DeWalt DW733 is a thicknesser only, no facility to square up material against a fence.

Mike

Lonsdale73":1ryykwuk said:
El Barto":1ryykwuk said:
Well some b*astard outbid me on the Elektra so I'm gunna keep on looking. Annoying as it was only down the road as well.

Are the machines by Fox/Lumberjack (I'm assuming there are a lot of the same machine rebadged) any good or is it worth holding out for a better used one?

Was that a good price for a used EB?

Unsure. I was factoring in location/convenience for collection too, and it seemed in good nick.

The pictures in that ffx link are a wee bit misleading, there are two different versions of the machine shown there I think.
Mains switch, blade guard and mech. cover are different depending on which photo you're looking at.
May not be a bad thing if they've been improved somehow but I'd check what I was getting before I spent that much.
You will get one cheaper than the Elektra you linked to but you're quite right when you say you were factoring in location, condition etc. There's no point in passing something like that up and having to wait another 6 months for another similar one to turn up.

Hot stuff":33403t4p said:
The pictures in that ffx link are a wee bit misleading, there are two different versions of the machine shown there I think.
Mains switch, blade guard and mech. cover are different depending on which photo you're looking at.
May not be a bad thing if they've been improved somehow but I'd check what I was getting before I spent that much.
You will get one cheaper than the Elektra you linked to but you're quite right when you say you were factoring in location, condition etc. There's no point in passing something like that up and having to wait another 6 months for another similar one to turn up.

Agreed. The SIP version has come up not far from me so might go and take a look at it. The bloke wants £400 for it tho... :?

El Barto":lmlckin9 said:
Hot stuff":lmlckin9 said:

Agreed. The SIP version has come up not far from me so might go and take a look at it. The bloke wants £400 for it tho... :?

Hmm .. why pay £400 for 2nd hand when you can get new for £500? ... or is there a difference?

transatlantic":2mbgbd6j said:
El Barto":2mbgbd6j said:
Hot stuff":2mbgbd6j said:

Hmm .. why pay £400 for 2nd hand when you can get new for £500? ... or is there a difference?

My thoughts exactly. So going to try and get it down...

Its not assembled and needs a lot of work, but if I did not have a PT already and was in the market for one I would buy that at £220.00 bargain if it works and is complete.

Mike

MikeJhn":1gjhnu3p said:
Its not assembled and needs a lot of work, but if I did not have a PT already and was in the market for one I would buy that at £220.00 bargain if it works and is complete.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Are parts still available for it? And what kind of work does it need?

Not sure I'd touch that if I didn't know what I was doing to be honest. Looks like the belt isn't attached, the cutter block is rusted, rollers aren't attached, fixed table bed isn't attached...

El Barto":3uw3mnp9 said:
MikeJhn":3uw3mnp9 said:

Mike

Thanks Mike. Are parts still available for it? And what kind of work does it need?

El Barto, asking that question indicates that Matt's assumption is probably correct and you don't know the amount of work needed in which case I agree with Matt, don't touch it if you don't know what you are doing, just getting the cutting block parallel with the thicknessing bed will be bad enough let alone the two planing beds, but if you know someone who does know about these things, then it still could be worth a look.

Mike

I'd buy it.
What's the worst that could happen?
You can't put it back together, so you sell it.
He who dares...

Back