Planer/thicknesser how accurate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would not

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought myself a FOX planer thicknesser £220, pushed some wood through and got wedges out. Anyway after fetling the lift mechanism and altering a few things on the planer to get the tables aligned with each other I can use the thicknesser on wide pieces of wood and the thickness is within 0.1mm all over.
My question - is this good or bad?

I'd say thats pretty good. I usually bank on taking things off the thicknesser slightly oversize to finish with a handplane, where 0.1mm is easily removed. Even if you plan to machine to finished size with no hand planing I can't see 0.1mm ever being a problem in any assembly.

Ed

I bought a FOX router table for £100 the cutters weren't square to the table and the router mount/lift had movement so the cutter snatched at the wood.
I've done a few mods to get the cutter square with the table and get rid of the router movement.
The spindle has a .002" TIR runout but this doesn't seem to effect cutting performance.

I'm just wondering whether it's worth putting a cheap digi readout on the lift? What do you recon?

Mr Ed":32vc7o3i said:
I'd say thats pretty good. I usually bank on taking things off the thicknesser slightly oversize to finish with a handplane, where 0.1mm is easily removed. Even if you plan to machine to finished size with no hand planing I can't see 0.1mm ever being a problem in any assembly.

Ed

Thanks for your replies, although I've used machines for most of my life, they've been CNC metal working machines and a 0.1mm has been a massive tolerance. So being new to wood work I wasn't sure what's a good tolerance and what's not.

0.1mm over the whole bed is good. Very good. You should be pleased with yourself, I'd say.

WhenI got my machine, it was getting on for 1mm out over 5". It now has a simklar tolerance to yours. I'm happy enough and it cost a lot more than £200.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back