planer thickness question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked the rollers last night they are going round, will polish table before I thickness again. It sounds like there is a design problem with the drive pulleys on this make of machine I think I will modify mine before it gives me trouble.

Thanks for all the advice.

I think there are too many Neil on this site :wink:

Neil

Hi Neil and Neil

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I would like to recommend the Jet 60A planer and the Makita 2012NB thicknesser. Both amazing.

Cheers
Neil

PS I'll get my coat now.

The drive belt has a relatively small contact area on the cutter block spindle, hence limited grip an that is probably causing the squeal (like you get sometimes with a car alternator or power steering pump) Only made worse by it starting to fray.

If you fit a new belt, I can suggest some of this

Newbie_Neil":3c7ai931 said:
Hi Neil and Neil

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I would like to recommend the Jet 60A planer and the Makita 2012NB thicknesser. Both amazing.
I wish!!!. I've learned the hard way to wait and spend my hard earned dosh on decent kit (this thread being the perfect example) but I don't think I'd get away with getting them anytime soon. I just imported the famous unisaw from the States a couple of months ago :D (but thats a topic for another thread sometime), so all the brownie points are used up for now.
neilc

ike,
I think I may have some of that Rocol spray already... I've definitley got something from the same brand, ordered from Axminster at the very same time as the machine - I'll also have a word with them tomorrow to see what they can suggest.
How and where would you suggest I apply the spray also?

If I had the money, a bigger workshop AND did a LOT more woodworking, I'd certainly spend more money on my machinery. I did contemplate buying seperate machines and sometimes now wish I had...
But I am very limited for space right now (perhaps only until I can flog some of our junk on eBay, it appears to be multiplying!).

I also find switching between planer and thicknesser mode to be a bit of a pain, but setting the jointer tables correctly in the first place has become the biggest challenge I've faced with this machine so far.

You can get the same effect by using rosin crystals - much cheaper (especially if you've a violin player in the house)

Scrit

I have one of these machines, dont use it much anymore but I had the same problem.

After looking at the design for a long time I decided that both the infeed and outfeed rollers are not low enough.

They ride (either side) on sprung rising block made of plastic and they sit fractionally too high for the cutter block.

I removed the rollers and reduced the height of the blocks. They would then start off sitting lower but still have the option to rise (sprung) when the timber is fed in.

I would also add as everybody else has that waxing the bed is most important, however I think with this machine, with the rollers too high it may not solve the problem.

I am in the workshop tommorow and will if you want take some photos to show how I did it.

To justify the process, this machine no longer gives any snipe and 'chucks' the timber out the other end...

Post replys if you want me to break down the process with some piccies...

marky

How and where would you suggest I apply the spray also

A light spray along the inside of the belt should help. I've found it useful stuff that does what it says on the tin. At least it might protect a new belt from premature slipping and wear.

Another tip I can suggest is to roughen the contact area on the cutter spindle with some coarse abrasive - 40 or 60 grit. Sounds brutal but can't hurt anything.

Ike

I picked up a couple of new belts today. Seems to have done the trick, for the first time in nearly a year I'm getting timber out the other side without having to use a push stick. It's unbelievable how much the old belt stretched when compared up against the new one. Thanks to everyone who offered help.
neilc

I recently got my replacement belt too and everything's working fine once again. :D

Though I am sceptical as to how long this will last, so I'll get myself some of that spray and take ike's advice into plan - thankfully, I have plenty of 60gt paper lying around! Thanks.

Neilc, glad to see it's worked for you also. I must admit, when I went to fit the new belt, I thought perhaps they had supplied me the wrong one, it was such a tight fit!

Contrary to what other people have said though, I've not experienced a single problem with snipe when using the thicknesser. On the planer, however, that's a different story altogether!! :x

I've just had a look and Axminster sell the Belt Dressing spray along with sme lubricants and others I may want to try...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/find.asp?man ... r_id=Rocol

Hi, I use pledge furniture polish on my P/T and it works a treat.By the way if you have laminate floors in the house keep the above well away from it ,cause it turns them into a death trap!

Latest posts

Back