Plane storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I don't usually keep them here...

DSC_0007-1.jpg

Pete

Ahh..Pete. Now that's just a plain, old-fashioned, un-necessary (but funny) gloat.... :lol:
Mind you, its makes good use of the avaialble floor space :wink:
Philly :D

Pete! You got swapsies on threes and fours ain't ya?

Is that one of them there tiny Chinese "brass and rosewood" jobbies I see in the middle...that almost everyone gets conned into buying...(me too) and can't shave for s*&t? :D

I am worried because I see some LN in my future and that collection looks a lot like mine could be if I lost control!!!

You need one of those outline pictures with numbers and a key in it...or MAYBE we should put a competition to name each one...now that would be fun!!

Cheers mate...amazed!

Jim

Hi, Chaps

That was taken some time ago and I have slimmed down the 3's 4's and 5's and the Record and Stanley spoke shaves. I had another few I forgot about when I took that picture, about 110 or so in total :shock:

The mini plane has been tuned
DSC_0127-1.jpg

with a brass sole and all the corners rounded off and it now planes Cocobolo a treat.
DSC_0124.jpg

Thats a bit of 2X2 its sitting on. it's a good little plane for small bits.

Pete

Yup...that's the one! I bought it in a fit of insanity at TIMBERLINE one day...must have been fogged by the wood I bought!

I tried tuning mine...but the blade steel is so bad that I don't think it will work...I think I might grind down a little No.50 blade...but I bought an IBEX 12mm for my tiny work on the guitars so I am happy now...mind you...it cost nearly 10 times as much!

I've got to sort my planes out one day...

Jim

hi derek

nothing wrong with your shop, nice , love the old stanley router , i used that model years ago in the dockyard at portland lovely router . hc

Hi, here's mine. I just make a new shelf any time I add a new tool which clips in. It's positioned above my bench.
Regards,
Neil
IMG_0108.jpg

Hi Neil

Now that is a very clever storage solution.

I might copy that if I get the time to do it properly.

Cheers

Karl

hi

now that is a very neat idea, but come on don't dangle carrots like that without showing what keeps the shelfs square like that with a weighty plane sat on it .hc

Hi guys, thanks for the kind comments.
It's a simple enough setup really. The distance between the slats is slightly more than the thickness of the shelves. All you do then is route (or in my case dado) a groove very slightly more than the thickness of the slat in the back underside of the shelf, which then slips over the top of the slat. Hope that explains it clearly.
Regards,
Neil

Thats very clever alright Neil. I think I understand what you're saying. A pic from the side would help.

I may have to copy that as well.

Eoin

Neil, that's probably the most elegant and clever DIY tool storage system I've ever seen. My brother has been thining of a tool shelf for him, that's definitely the way I would build it for him. I could also make him a few extra metres of that "shelving" with the groove planed in, so he would only have to saw them to shape and drill holes for tools if necessary.

That's clearly ready straight to commercial production. Did you invent that yourself or did you see something like that somewhere else? It would be brilliant as a product: just two different components (horizontal strips which could even double as verticals behind them, and then blanks for the tool shelves) and a bag of screws.

There have been many good examples on the thread, but this is definitely the best.

Pekka

Back