Plane blade ruined?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George_N":2xggzf1a said:
For the small amount of grinding/sharpening I need to do a Tormek set-up is way over the top, however good it may be

I know what you mean. I tidied up a lot of old tools on the bench grinder for many years quite successfully.
As an amateur there were just two reasons I invested in the Tormek. Firstly I was retiring and that would be my last chance to spend that sort of money, and secondly I had bought some nice quality chisels and planes for my retirement and I didn't fancy converting a L-N A2 blade to sparks, which I would need to do at least once a year.

I bought an Elu bench grinder many years ago but because of the difficulty in ensuring one doesn't overheat the blade I now seldom use it.

Nowadays, I keep my good planes and chisels for good work, and look after them. For rough DIY work where there is a danger of damaging the blades I use cheaper tools. If the blades get damaged it doesn't take long to get the edges back into shape using a coarse or extra coarse diamond stone with a honing guide.

A much better and cheaper option in my view.

Paul

Hi all,
I thought I'd resurrect this thread with an update. I managed to re-grind the blade (I bought a Veritas grinding jig and tool holder) and I've had a go at honing it using the "Scary Sharp" method. Without any fettling of the plane (old Stanley No. 4 1/2) I was able to take a full length shaving off an oak board, straight from the table saw, after only a few strokes with the plane. I couldn't get the shavings as fine as I would like but I didn't spend a huge amount of time on honing (only to 1200g wet and dry) and I haven't flattened the sole of the plane etc, either. I also bought one of the Samurai blades from Axminster but I will save that until my technique has improved a bit and I have the plane in better shape.

cheers

George

Latest posts

Back