plane advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

one recurrent question from my wife is: "How many planes do you need to purchase again? Do you need others? I don't know, you want spend much money in things of which you do not need." :cry: .

She doesn't know :cry: , I need hand planes :lol: to make what she asks me hence I need a plane which comprises much planes all in one.

Jokes aside I wish an advice about Stanley 45. I'm worried about all parts of which is composed the plane. My only source is ebay and I don't know if for that price the plane is missing of much parts or minus.
If someone could help me with a draw or a list of that parts which could do the plane to work..

Thanks in advance

Alf":fwqdmvtb said:
Here you go, Gabriele: exploded parts drawing. Actually it's clearer still in the PDF of the manual here. Many more similar links concerning combination planes always available at my Boat Anchor Shrine. :D

Cheers, Alf

I know .It has only been necessary to make one question about hand tools and Alf appears :D . Thanks a lot.
Excuse one question : how I can understand, the plane #45 needs the Sliding Section to complete the support for the iron, doesn't it? The plane without that doesn't work.
:?:

Except for the very narrowest cutters, yes, the sliding section is needed. Without it there's nothing to stop the plane tilting and the unsupported side diving into the work.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Geppetto,

Just a few observations from someone who has two (a Stanley 45 and a Record 405). I don't want to start a long debate :wink: but I'll pass on my comments for what they are worth.

They can be very expensive :( but I picked up mine for £45 (Stanley) and £20 (Record) :) They were virtually complete but for a few cutters missing. I prefer the Record - don't know why, it just seems to work better.

They can be nice to use if the cutters are nice and sharp. But they can also be difficult because the blades are bevel down and there is no chipbreaker. It all depends on the wood.

If cost is a big consideration and you already have a router, you might find that you can do all you want with the router and save yourself some money.

If you don't have a router (for which cutters can be expensive) the Multiplane might be a cheaper route.

And if you get one and find that you don't get on with it, you can always put it on the mantlepiece as an ornament, because they do look lovely :wink:

Hope this is of some help

Paul

Hi Paul Chapman,

Thanks for the reply. No. I haven't a router hence could be the time to seek a such plane but, how you said, all could depend from the price.

Back