Pine kitchen worktops - best method for a natural finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polly13

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm making some kitchen worktops from pine, and I'm thinking about staining them then finishing them with clear varnish.

Bearing in mind that kitchen worktops get more use and get wet more often than other items of furniture around the home, will regular interior varnish do the job well enough, or would it be advisable to use exterior, floor, or even yacht varnish?

Looking forward to receiving the wisdom!

Hope you all had a great Christmas!

If it is modern fast grown pine then don't bother with stain as it will be very patchy due to the density of the growth rings. It takes a lot of work to make a decent coloured finish on pine and it will be a hell of a lot darker than you wanted.
a good quality poly is all you need to finish with 3 to 4 coats or you could just finish with BLO and follow tradition with the following after the first coat: - 1 coat a day for a week then 1 coat a week for a month and then one coat a month for a year and then a new coat annually.

hth

Cheers, Droogs.

Can you just clarify what you mean by "poly" and "BLO" though, please?

I personally like Danish oil, easy to apply, looks and smells good and easy to recoat.
Thanks Lazarus.

Someone told me Danish oil doesn't always work properly on pine, but when I Googled it, there was nothing to suggest this.

Do you know if it's possible to get Danish Oil mixed to a certain colour?

Polyurethane varnish. and Boiled Linseed Oil.

wipe on poly example

BLO

Our oak worktop is finished with Danish oil - brilliant and a doddle to do. If you're not sure on pine, test it on a scrap, doing full set of coats as per instructions. Maybe contact Rustins or Liberon Liberators buying to check it works on pine. Do be aware, though, that pine is pretty soft to be a kitchen worktop.

Back