php web development project, some assistance required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all

Any php developers on the forum? I'm really after a prod in the right direction as to where I could learn how to accomplish this project.

I used to do web development until about 5 years ago, but this will stretch any skills I still have. I used to do all of my coding by hand, but I think a framework might be the better way to handle this. There maybe further scope with it once I've got the first bit working.

The project will involve retrieving data from web services API, storing it in a MySQL database which is in turn used to power a form, which when submitted saves the data in an XML file and stores it on a web server.

I have got some way with it already but I'm really after a nudge in the right direction so I know what I'm looking at. Youtube is great but you need to know the terms you need to be searching for!

{tumbleweed}

It's been 12 years or more since I touched any PHP but I assume PHPFreaks is still a worthy place to try for advice? I'm by no means an expert but managed to make my way around using a couple of books. How up to speed are you on any of it?

Thanks Wuffles - I've been trawling the web for help and there is lots out there, but I have some fundamental questions to answer first. I have got it working to some degree and can get the data response back from the web services call, but how I then deal with that in such a way as to get it into the database I'm not sure. Lots of youtube videos, but I'm really stretching my skills on this one.

I have been looking for a developer who might be able to do this for me, but the freelancing websites only return results from across the globe, I'd rather deal with someone local I can visit to assess their skills.

"Teaching coders how to copy & paste like a boss" - http://stackoverflow.com/ ;)

Seriously, it's a great resource for just about any coding query regardless of language. It's been a few (like... 11... *feels old*) years since I coded for cash and frameworks were only becoming a Thing then so I'm no help there I'm afraid.

The cheaper ones are across the globe though :)

How would you assess their skills when (and no offence intended) you are lacking the skill you are trying to assess? Is there somewhere that freelancers get reviews from happy customers?

Added: Oh yeah, Stackoverflow, many a copy/paste from there in the past.

A result today. I found a new website for hiring developers. bark.com. I have had a load of decent response and even have a guy coming to see me tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back