Futon project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanitycat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I thought I would share my progress of my futon build or what little of it as I go. I'm a weekend woodworker so it make take some time :-s.

My fiancé decided after seeing a few of my previous projects that I should try to build a futon. Excited by the prospect I dashed out and bought some pine. However buying all the materials my math skills kicked in and I worked out that cost of the materials plus the mattress, roughly equalled the cost of buying a futon online plus a scowling fiancé when she realised the wood would be stored in our guest room.Oh well c'est la vie.

I left wood to acclimatise to the room where the futon would reside for a couple of weeks. Sorry guys don't think I have a picture of this. But I'm sure with your combined imaginations you can visualise this.

I decided I had the perfect excuse and project to purchase a mitre saw. Purchased mitre saw over the phone and they would deliver it to my local axminister. Few days later went to axminister to find they couldn't find my order but they had one for another Alan with a similar saw. Anywho the crack team of axminister got on the case and found it was indeed in store but due to some computer glitch they couldn't sell it to me straight away. They decide to figure out how to outwit the computer says no directive while I peruse the contents of their store. Half hour later and several kid in candystore purchases later the problem was solved equalling me as one happy chappy. Got home tore through the box and its contents like it was Christmas. Everything functioned okay except the mitre head wouldn't move, I could pull forwards and back but not up and over the wood. One torturous reboxing and a return visit later revolved the problem. The locking in pin was stuck. After some magic spray and pliers the problem was solved.

Most of the day had passed by now but I thought I would start making some rough cuts. English weather happened so I had to clear the wood and machinery and wait it out.

Found some time to make a few more rough cuts in the evening and by the end of the week had most of the parts cut to rough.

The following weekend had arrived and I was geared up to get cracking on the project. But fiancé informed me people were coming over and it was the steam and beer festival. If it was possible be saddened and elated at the same time I was both right then. After hour of procrastinating about cleaning and half hour of actual tidying I went outside and started cutting the frame pieces to actual size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The next step involved dowelling the pieces together. Considering that I had never used my dowelling jig I thought I'd better practice. Grabbed some offcuts and got the jig configured. Worked on a actual project but due to bad orientational awareness i made a slight blunder by putting the dowels in the endgrain of the short piece and not the longer piece. Un perturbed by this I made another piece and harvested the blunder lumber for the arm rests. After much faffing and trying visualise where holes were meant to be, our guests had arrived with 2 year old in tow. I had the pack it all away. Went to steam and beer and prepared for my handover the next day.

Following day passed and I counted the seconds for our friends to leave so I could continue with my project. After much standing hole visualisation the frames were built. Exciting I know. See pic below.

67660764cd10585fb2f08e92e3fa61ac.jpg

Whilst the sun was still out I decided to start the next step which was the routing mortises In order to keep straight mortises . I made a jig which allows the plunge router to rest snugly on the lumber. I made the jig using some spare marine plywood I had after a previous project on the sliding mitre saw and some bolts and wing nuts. Unfortunately I had put one of the bolt tracks too close to the router base so the wing nut could not turn. I quickly bashed up another one with the previous mistake as a guide and began routing the legs of the futon.
1bbcf396e0410274569ef4504c791503.jpg

In order to produce exact mortises I marked out the mortise edges and started the router close the edge but left enough of a gap that I could sneak up on the line. I put a clamp on the edge to prevent it going further than the line. I repeated the same on the other side and then plunged away gleefully

363a7d7f2e9ea1cee522e5b584cd8282.jpg
finally had some time at the weekend to make some progress. Plunged 44 mortises. Then set to work on making the 44 tenons. In order to quicken the tenon making progress I created a jig...

f30815e15933b96c455c86d9dca13f58.jpg
behold the almighty jig. Made from mdf glue and pocket screws to help cut the cheeks of the tenons. I then used a Japanese saw to cut the sides of the Tenon to fit.

That's looking good.

Good phrase, 'blunder lumber', I'll use that.....perhaps more often than I'd like.

Latest posts

Back