Perform CCBL ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

a couple of questions for users of this lathe

To change the speed , is it done by belts or on a speed controller

Does the head turn or is it fixed

Can it be bench mounted or only on the stand ?

Are the handles rubbish ?

Its not for me :lol: I think dad has the bug and wants a reasonable lathe

Looked on Axminsters web site and it does not tell much :cry:

Thanks

Any other good or bad bits :?:

Allen.
It is variable speed in 10 changes from 500-200rpm.Must keep it clean and lubricated frequntly.
The head does rotate and locks at 90 degrees.
I had mine bench mounted.No problem.
And yes the handles are pretty poor though Axy do do a better upgrade which i also used.
HTH.
Paul.J.

Can be mounted on bench, need to space it up a bit to allow hand access underneath to clear shavings and get at clamp nuts.

Headstock turns 360deg

Speed change via cone pulleys and Belt with lever on front.

May need a little fettling of cam levers to get smooth working. (Underneath nut may need addition of wood disc to improve easy adjustment, not easy to get fingers to it)

Small plastic bristol levers on tool rest clamp may need replacing for better quality.

Edit: See Paul was of the mark quicker than me :lol:

Hi Blister

I recently upgraded to this lathe , it is a very sturdy well built lathe and excellent value for money. I use it with a sorby patriot chuck and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either to anyone, but be aware that when it's delivered it's very heavy 112kgs inc packaging.
Tell your Dad to go for it.

HTH

Steve

HI

As the others have said.

The headstock moves backwards and forwards along the bed as well as rotating.

john

I use the next model down and basically the only complaint I have had (apart from lack of maintenance on my part which Axminster sorted out with spare parts free of charge) is the fact that I would like to go slower to turn bigger heavier unbalanced things. The legs you get with it work but I would recommend getting it mounted firmly on a bench for better stability and less vibration.

Pete

Pete.
Have you tried putting a couple of bags of ballast on the stand shelf.Should make some difference as it is quite a light stand.
Paul.J.

I did better than that, I screwed the **** thing down to a 3" thick plank and stood on it and watched it bend in the middle with that piece of chestnut I got from you with the head swivelled at 45 degrees. That was at slow speed. I have a couple of 3" planks and some 3X3 so am going to make a solid bench for it when I put my 6' x 10' workshop back together after Christmas and use coachbolts to hold the thing down until I can afford a Hegner / Wadkin/ Graduate + the shed to accomodate them. Until then I'll stick to smaller stuff. I have worked out that if I can sell another 60 nitelites I will have enough money for the lathe at least :lol:

Pete

Latest posts

Back